Geeks, Nerds And Other Know-It-Alls

So... I was contemplating my favourite geeks in film and TV... as you do. I've come to the conclusion that this list will never be final... I will constantly change my mind. The first tricky thing was realising that splitting the geeks from the nerds and the know-it-alls was beyond impossible. Dr Temperance Brennan... know-it-all. Dr Sheldon Cooper... probably fits all three. Flint Lockwood... geek. Who knows?! The line between geeks and nerds is very fine in my opinion so I've decided there's no splitting them for fear I'd spend the evening arguing with my own choices!

So here... in no particular order... are my favourite geeks, nerds and other know-it-alls.

Dr Spencer Reid - Criminal Minds - By far one of my favourite... nerds?! Probably!

Penelope Garcia - Criminal Minds - I want that woman's wardrobe and tech-savvy.

Q - James Bond - Now I'm using this as the general covering for the "tech guy" from Bond, as I'm sure we could also argue about whether John Cleese was in fact R. But Desmond Llewelyn, John Cleese and Ben Whishaw all did wonders for the part.

Beaker - The Muppets - I know technically he was the sidekick to Dr Bunsen Honeydew but I love him! Not only that but he does a great rendition of one of my favourite pieces of music!


Ray & Egon - The Ghostbusters - They seem very much like a comedy duo to me!

Lenina Huxley - Demolition Man - The ultimate super fan of everything cheesy.

PC Danny Butterman - Hot Fuzz - Not only does he have an epic DVD collection and storage solution but he also has the quick thinking to say "by the power of Greyskull". If I saw a barn full of weapons I don't think that would be my first response.

The Doctor - Doctor Who - Tennant era... he's the best... no arguments!

Sherlock Holmes - Elementary - I don't think I'll be massively popular with this one but oh well! While I like Sherlock Sherlock I prefer the chemistry between Liu and Miller. There were all the classic ones... and Brent Spiner [who I didn't let on the shortlist as technically I thought he had too much of an advantage being an android], but to be honest when it comes to TV I'm a little bit bias to the modern era.

Alec Hardison - Leverage - My list wouldn't be complete without him... I want him to be real so that I can always in-depth stalk people!



That was what I whittled out of my list... which currently stands at 40 long. I didn't even include written characters because to be quite honest I had too much trouble remembering my favourite visual ones from just the DVDs! I merely stopped at 40 because it was the bottom of my page and the end of all my favourite DVDs. I tried to Google lists of geeks and nerds but found this too tricky... why has no one completed a comprehensive list!? I went on to mad scientists but to be honest I'm not a fan of them so much. Number one on people's lists seemed to be Dr Emmett Brown from Back To The Future but I always saw him as being too far on the mad side.

Despite the fact I've attempted to end this list in my head and "finalised" my post I will no doubt go to bed thinking of every show, film and book... and by tomorrow have a whole new 40 characters. Bye bye restful sleep!

Comments