Smallfoot ★★★★ ½ | Movie Review

Synopsis


In the unexplored tundra lives a strange beast. Legend says that it has really, REALLY, small feet. No one has seen it... until now!


Review


I love a twisted tale, seeing the story from the other person's point of view, so this one appealled right off the bat. It's a fun and happy film, a great watch on a family day out. It's full of humour that will appeal to everyone. That being said it wasn't quite like other kids films I've seen recently. The only laughter that I noticed in the theatre was from the adults throughout, and the kids were fairly quiet until a slapstick moment popped up. What I will say though is that I was smiling from start to finish.

You get a few songs for your ticket price. Nothing massively memorable but for the most part they're fun and relevant to what's happening. There's even some rap in there, which is particularly well done by the Stonekeeper, played by Common.

Music is where my ½ star quibble comes in. It's James Cordon's song. Setting the song that Percy makes up on the spot to such an iconic tune is bad enough, but when it has it's own rhythm that's laid over the top in some kind of terrible mash-up, well... just no.

As a whole group the cast work really well together. The only thing that caused me to frown at the screen was the Stonekeeper. Common was great, and as I said his rap was brilliant, but for the wisdom filled spiritual leader of the community he doesn't quite hold that Dumbledore/Gandalf level of grandeur. Mild confusion also reigns when you look at the casting list on IMDb. I saw a mini interview piece with Emma Bunton about how excited she was to do the voice of the Mama Bear in Smallfoot, yet when you look at the cast her name is nowhere to be found. In fact, in her spot is Patricia Heaton of Everybody Loves Raymond fame. I can only assume it was a regional variation thing.

There are some great little bits to look out for, a bit of Pac-man for us old folk, and watch out for the swirling YouTube videos... I had trouble working out what some of them were but I'm fairly certain you can spot "Charlie Bit My Finger" in there.

What you should do


Watch it with or without your little smallfoots.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


Can I have a fuzzy yeti? Probably just a little one as they're fairly big.

Comments