Nativity Rocks! ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Two boys come to Coventry during the festive season looking for their families. They end up at St Bernadette's as the school are gearing up for a tinsel-filled rock opera.


Review


It's becoming a habit for me that I haven't seen previous films in franchises, I apologise, at some point I'll find the time to get them all in. I'm led to believe that the Nativity films are all very similar in concept though.

Nativity Rock! is what would happen if School Of Rock did a Christmas remix, and it was definitely an enthusiastic way to edge into Christmas.

The jokes flow quite freely and Jerry spends basically his entire time being the comedy relief. His childish character became frustrating fairly quickly, but I can't argue with the fact he was amusing. I really need to find out how to do the invisible dog trick he's mastered.

What occurred to me quite quickly is that this film is ridiculous. There are story lines aplenty. All equally implausible. Some that seemingly defy the laws of time and motion when it comes to geography. Where they all needed? Probably not.

As far as the cast goes it's a wide group of familiar faces who generally do a good job of their parts... but even as a villain Craig Revel Horwood is just terrible, what is he even famous for?

There won't be awards waiting for this one, it doesn't have a massive amount going for it apart from the fact it's entertaining. I spent most of my time smiling and tapping my foot. It's not a masterpiece but it'll make a good Christmas diversion.

What you should do


If you're looking for a festive family outing then this isn't a bad option. I'd pick it second to The Grinch but I think either way the kids will have a good time.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


Jerry's unrelenting optimism, mine occasionally fluctuates.

Comments