Sorry To Bother You ★☆☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Cassius Green finds the secret to success in one of the world's most disliked jobs, telemarketing. But is the cost of that success too high?


Review


I... well, that took a turn.

Where to start? This felt like I was watching an episode of Dimension 404/Electric Dreams/Black Mirror... take your pick, and that's kind of my first problem with it. There are a lot of things that don't need to be there for it to work. It could easily have been an episode of something and had more of an impact (for a good reason).

Credit where credit is due though, I have never seen anything quite like this before. I'd like to say I hope I never do again but with my cinema policy of seeing nearly everything that comes out it's bound to happen. I just can't really work out how to sum it up. It starts with a little humour and an intriguing idea and then it takes such a bizarre turn that I lost any enjoyment I'd had for the rest of the film.

Cassius making calls and then being physically put into the life of that person was a triumph for the film. It was funny and worked with the off the wall nature of the entire production. Watching his rise at the company is actually an uplifting sequence of events. From his very first interview through to power caller there's a certain amount of joy watching him succeed. How I wish that feeling hadn't ended.

When we go to the party with Cassius and Mr ___ my enjoyment started to slide. It was an awkward kind of humour that I really don't like. Most of the elements seemed to be unnecessary and by the end we'd just reached gratuitous. Then of course we get the biggest twist of the film. That's when I really lost it.

I just can't think of anything else I want to say about this film.

What you should do


Lots of people seem to like it... but I'm not one of them. Just watch some of the TV shows listed above instead.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I don't want anything from this film apart from the two hours of my life it took.

Comments