Vice ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


The story of Dick Cheney and his rise to the position of Vice President.


Review


Honestly Christian Bale should probably get an award for his commitment to a role. Gaining weight, doing exercises to get a thicker neck as well as studying up on all the policies and things so that he could ad-lib in character... just wow. This guy might just be a couple of parts crazy.

Being relatively fresh out of The Front Runner I was wondering how I was going to fair with another American political film. The two are very different beasts, The Front Runner is generally inoffensive and consistent drama while Vice tends to sway wildly between scenes of drama and some comedy.

Vice uses a lot of different ways to convey the story, it bleeps and blurs faces, it uses shots that avoid faces and candids with voiceovers, there are moments that go from 0-60 in no time at all. Visually as well as audibly it's chaos, and the timeline jumps around a fair bit, but at least that was easy to follow given the ageing that the characters go through.

As well as Bale's incredible performance a shout out has to go to Sam Rockwell. From Justin Hammer and Dixon in Three Billboards to Zaphod Beeblebrox he has a great range as a supporting actor.

I did like that at the beginning with regards to having to fill in the blanks of the story it said... "but we did our f***ng best." I'm sure it won't stop people saying that the film isn't accurately depicting history but I appreciate the fact it tries to stop them.

Vice is a crazy concotion of things and an assault on the senses, it has the wow factor though. Overall there are a lot of characters to follow. Some portrayed with stellar performances and others that fall by the wayside and left me confused about who they actually were. I think this just missed the mark for me, my knowledge of US politics being limited to what makes the news and social media means that again this is probably a film better suited for politics buffs and the American audiences.

There's a mid-credit scene which I did not stay for, I think this was probably a benefit to this review as by the sounds of it I would have left more confused after seeing it.

What you should do


If politics is your thing then you should definitely give it a go, you might have more luck with it than I did.

Comments