Welcome To Marwen ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Mark Hogancamp uses dolls and his camera to help in his rehabilitation after a brutal attack leaves him nearly dead and with no memories of his past.


Review


I knew what I'd be seeing on the screen for this one but it was still intriguing to watch.

When we're seeing the dolls in action you can tell that every detail has been taken into account. The way they move their limbs, the articulation and their reactions are all spot on. If you listen during the fight scenes you can even hear the plastic on plastic thunking. The little touches in Marwen itself are wonderful too.

Transitions between the fictional town and the real town are done in a surprisingly smooth way. The shifts through the bar's frontage keep the action flowing in the busier points of the movie and are a nice change of pace from the camera and photographs.

You end up thinking about a lot of things. It took me longer than it probably should have done to work a few things out (no spoilers), but when I did it opened up a whole other train of thought and even a day later I'm still thinking about it.

Steve Carell does an amazing job of conveying the trauma that Mark is having to deal with, and the moments where his anxieties take him are so horribly real. The film overall punches you in the face with emotions. There's one particular moment with Kurt and his car that made me anxious myself and I actually wanted to scream at the screen, if I'd been at home I would have been screaming. Before you ask, of course I was crying! So much at one point I thought I was going to choke on the lump in my throat.

What you should do


I have no doubt this one will be under appreciated as it is a little unusual, but it is worth a watch at some point.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I'd quite like to try those meatballs.

Comments