A Private War + Q&A ★★★★ ½ | Movie Review

Synopsis


A biopic of Marie Colvin, a war correspondent that went to the most dangerous places on the planet.


Review


I really do think that this viewing of A Private War was enhanced by the inclusion of the Q&A with cast and crew at the end. Not so much for the acting process and things but for the look at facts behind the movie itself. It's something They Shall Not Grow Old did too. Having the extra feature like this is a great inclusion, especially because a lot of movie-goers will just leave the cinema with assumptions about what they've seen and not do any further research.

One thing I'd noted during the film was just how real the acting felt from the civilians. The reason for that (as discovered in the Q&A) was because they were actual civilians who had their lives changed by war. The moments they had on screen had an amazing impact before you even discovered that fact.

The acting talent in this does an amazing job. Tom Hollander and Corey Johnson bring us solid supporting roles, and there's a nice surprise of Stanley Tucci too. I'm only seen Jamie Dornan in last year's Robin Hood and he was reasonable in that, his appearance in A Private War is good but against all the other things happening it's not making it into my top ten things about the film.

Now... Rosamund Pike... there's no denying she's a wonderful actress and this role must have been so difficult to get right. Intensity and compassion when she's in the field and interviewing, to the sadness and emotion when she is home and struggling with her situation, Pike covers pretty much everything. There's only one moment where I didn't feel the connection to the character. Marie opens up to Paul in what feels like it should be an emotional scene but when it cuts out to the next one I was surprised that it didn't really hit as well as everything else did.

I loved the way they used subtitles in this, or rather didn't. When we see Marie talking her way through a roadblock the suspense is everywhere, there's no instant translation and that coupled with some great camera work gives you that feeling of mild panic along with the characters.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting myself into when I booked a ticket for this. I even had to pay for it as it was classified as an event rather than a film (which I thought was a little cheeky considering none of the other Q&A screenings I've been to have been) but it was £6 well spent.

We also get treated to hearing Annie Lennox's creation, Requiem For A Private War. Atmospheric and haunting, the song made me pause, her instantly recognisable voice hits the right tone for the film.

What you should do


When this comes out on February 15th you should definitely go and see it. It's an interesting creation and shows you a side of journalism that many have probably never even thought about.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I've got a bathtub that Stanley Tucci is more than welcome to come and sit in... I know I've just brought the tone of this would review down with this but I don't care.

Comments