The LEGO Movie 2 ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis


After the invasion of Duplo Apocalypseburg was born. Everything is not awesome, it's bleak and broody. Everything apart from Emmet.


Review


It's close to call... I absolutely love the first LEGO movie and this one might be better. Ugh, I just don't know.

With Emmet's same cheery disposition and Lucy's same never-ending scepticism you might say that it's just the first movie with more cameos and in-jokes for the adults. You're probably right, but it's still good.

The song and dance routines have been knocked up a notch, everything is still so upbeat... I love it. I am a little sad though that "This Song's Gonna Get Stuck Inside Your Head" didn't get stuck in my head (even after listening to some of the ten-hour video on LEGO's YouTube account). I actually still came out singing "Everything Is Awesome".

Queen of the songs and actual queen, Watevra Wa'Nabi, demolishes the competition. She maybe doesn't understand the subtleties of getting people to trust you but her heart is in the right place. Tiffany Haddish was fantastic, the only way she could have been better in this was if they'd Barbie dolled her for it, Welcome To Marwen style. The animation of the Duplo royal was really quite expressive, it was an ingenious way to do it.

It was great that they didn't try to fiddle around with anything animation-wise from the first film. Not that there would have been much they could have done but when you think things like that they go and surprise you with something awful. It was all just as fun, but I have never seen anything as cute as those damned hearts and stars! Oooooooh the cuteness!

Most of the cameo parts are the same as last time too, although we get a fun little addition of Bruce Willis chillin' in some air ducts.

When I sum it up like this I realise how little it really has changed but the underlying family story is sweet, it also makes for a casting addition of Maya Rudolph. She's barely in it but my god her acting is on point, I can't really tell you the scene without spoiling it but you'll see it and think the same thing.

What you should do


Well, it's half term so it's a no brainer to go and see it at some point but even at any other time of the year I'd tell you to go along and have some fun.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I would like to take home something for use in all films... dinosaurs with subtitles.

Comments