The Kindergarten Teacher ★ ½ ☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Kindergarten Teacher Lisa becomes obsessed with her student who shows an amazing talent as a poet.


Review


The Kindergarten Teacher was an experience, a proper "oh no, don't do that" awkward experience. Evidently it is a remake of the 2014 film Haganenet/The Kindergarten Teacher, written and directed by Nadav Lapid. Recently I've been watching the original versions to see the comparison between the two but I honestly don't think I can do it with this.

The story follows Lisa as she tries to nurture her own talent and that of her two children. But she's a disconnected mother and she doesn't seem to realise that they're doing okay on their own and it's just her life that hasn't lived up to expectations.

I'm intrigued to know the story behind how this originally came into being. It seems like a very specific subject, although I can't find anything about it being a true story in a brief search on the interweb.

Gyllenhaal has a tough role, it goes against every instinct you have as a decent human being. Lisa is an intriguing character, while she has her own interests at heart and the desire to make herself a success she's also desperate to give Jimmy the success he deserves too. It's quite surprising how she willingly unmasks herself in his favour at one point, but I think that's also the point where she realises she's crossed so far over the line that she's no hope of recovering from it. There's a desperation around her, she needs to be something more than she is and that urgency makes her forget what's appropriate and right.

This is scary in a way I can't really identify, possibly because it singles out a predator I'd never considered before? While the relationship is never particularly physically inappropriate her treatment of Jimmy does swing wildly between looking after him as a motherly figure to calling him like they're in a relationship.

I can't say that I enjoyed the film, I also didn't particularly hate it. The topic was so distracting that I couldn't really focus on all of the aspects of the film while I watched it. I think it was more that I was reacting so much to the story that there was actually no place for enjoyment. It really annoyed me that not a single person actioned any of their suspicions, there were at least two opportunities for intervention and yet, nothing.

The ending was a redemption of sorts and the way it was handled was quite unexpected, I'm not sure that it really made up for anything that came before it but it was well received.

Sadly I can't think of anything more constructive to say about this, it genuinely makes me scrunch up my face while I think about it.

What you should do


There's nothing particularly outstanding in The Kindergarten Teacher for me to recommend it, I don't even think I would watch it when it comes to streaming services.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I don't really want anything from this movie, I would however like 2 hours of pleasant feelings to put in place of everything I felt while watching this.

Comments