The MMM: Massive Marvel Marathon

It's the first time that I've done such an extensive rewatch before a film is due out. One or two films is an easy thing to achieve... but 21?

We had Captain Marvel hit our cinema screens in early March and the wait for Avengers: Endgame began. There's never going to be a better time to do a full MCU rewatch than now.

It's not just a case of rewatching the films though, I'm finally going to have to rate them all and show some preferential treatment.

Below I'll line up all the movies in the order I watched them (don't moan at me, I'm doing chronological order, I'm not watching two films set in the past mid-series or anything after the snap when it clearly happens before) and then we'll take a look at that rating issue.

Let's get this started.




Captain America: The First Avenger (The One Where Steve Rogers Gets Buff)

The main thing that I query in this one is that Clara is here... does that mean that the Doctor is part of the MCU?

Captain Marvel (The One Where Nick Fury Has Two Eyes)

This one is super fresh in everyone's mind, here's my review of it. It still feels a little odd adding in a character so later to the universe, but ho-hum.

Iron Man (The One Where Tony Stark Gets The Ultimate Suit)

Tony can make a super suit from a cave... and all I seem to be achieving is a whole lot of nothing.

Iron Man 2 (The One Where Rhodey Gets A Facelift)

Honestly, the best thing about Iron Man movies is Tony's relationship with his robots.

Incredible Hulk (The One That Doesn't Really Fit)

The thing I'm most annoyed about with this film is that they don't show us what happened to Stan Lee after drinking that contaminated bottle of drink.

Thor (The One Where We Meet The Pirate Angel)

I forgot how terrible Thor's haircut was in this one, such a shocker.

Avengers Assemble (The One Where They Get Shawarma)

There are some great lines in this one, I'm having trouble picking between them... "Target angry! TARGET ANGRY!!", the classic "Hulk... smash." from Cap or "Puny god." from Hulk followed by Loki whimpering.

Iron Man 3 (The One Where Ben Kingsley Is An Ac-tor)

Does it annoy anyone else that after the compilation piece at the end of the film it flashes up "Iron Man Three" with the three in words instead of a number?

Thor: The Dark World (The One Where Fandral Gets A Facelift)

They give Zachary Levi a spot in the MCU and he still defects to DC!

Captain America: Winter Soldier (The One Where Cap Is On Your Left)

"Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye." Are you sure Nick? Or was it because you were bugging Goose?

[I was very happy to reach this point in the rewatch, the first half is somewhat, dry? It was definitely more of a slog.]

Guardians Of The Galaxy (The One With All The Best Songs)

I really do love this because of the great music. So many other things are fun though, Glenn Close proclaiming "prick", the Guardians introductions in the line-up, Ronan's reaction to the dance-off... I'll have to stop or this will never end.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (The One Where Starlord Has A Lot Of Step-Siblings)

The opening is just so fantastic with Groot dancing and the battle off in the background. Another great line in this one, well, it amused me... "Is trash panda better?"

Avengers: Age Of Ultron (The One Where Pinocchio Comes To Life)

I like how humour plays so much of a part in this universe. Tony rather sheepishly saying "I'm sorry." to Hulk after knocking one of his teeth out and later Hawkeye drawing his bow after Quicksilver saying "Nobody would know...", these little touches really are great fun.

Ant-Man (The One Where It's A Small World After All)

Sadly Ant-Man isn't as good as I remember it being. I do love the fight scene between Yellow-Jacket and Ant-Man on the model train set, when it zooms out for a rather anti-climactic derailment I couldn't help but chuckle.

Captain America: Civil War (The One Where Everyone Is Annoyed At Everyone Else)

This is much more serious than I remember, I was honestly a little bored through it. But Tony Stank brought up the entertainment value at the end.

Doctor Strange (The One Where Sherlock Becomes A Wizard)

Doctor Strange becomes friends with an enchanted cape who is clearly a distant relative to the magic carpet from Aladdin.

Black Panther (The One With The World's Best Kept Secret)

Okoye just rocks this film, using a wig as a weapon? Brilliant.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (The One Where Batman Can Fly)

Despite me not really liking Spider-Man I enjoy this movie, and Ned, sweet Ned, I just love all his question.

Thor: Ragnarok (The One Where Thor Gets A Great Haircut)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aaaaaa-ah! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaa-aaaaaa-ah! Hulk is lovely in this one, and him and Thor fighting like children is always entertaining.

Ant-Man And The Wasp (The One Where Everyone Looks Young... and they didn't even need to CGI Paul Rudd for that, it's natural!)

Luis better have survived the snap!

Avengers: Infinity War (The One Where At The End We All Went "Daaaaaaaaaamn!" AKA The One Where Everyone Dies... Or Do They?)

It's very easy to blame Starlord for the death of half the universe... so I'm going to. You too Thor.


Things I want from the MCU


There are so many things that I would like from the MCU. Yondu's arrow, a baby Groot... not a teenage one though, Shuri's sneakers (I loved that joke), a vibranium car would also come in handy, or perhaps jeans that you can shrink up like Spidey's suit... or an infinity stone, just one, although I'm not sure which.

So that's my assessment done... now for the hard part...

Final judgement


Being that I only started rating movies (relatively) recently I've never scored the entire MCU, it's not exactly an easy task. My ranking is based entirely of this rewatch because there's no way to adjust for my take on them now that there are better effects and a wider range of characters.

To keep this post from being even longer than it already is nip over to my Letterboxd list to see what comes out top! Just click the image below... hopefully.


Anyone else feeling that tingle of excitement for Endgame now?

Comments