UK Movie Releases - July 2019

15 films coming in July that could have some potential in them, four of which I'm getting my hopes up for! Click on the titles below to view the trailers.

Which of July releases are you looking forward to the most?



2nd July 2019


★ Spider-Man: Far from Home - Starring Tom Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal and Samuel L Jackson. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever.

I may not be a fan of Spider-Man, but as this has such a strong connection to Endgame I'm interested to see how it pans out.



5th July 2019


★ Anna - Starring Sasha Luss, Helen Mirren, Luke Evans and Cillian Murphy. Beneath Anna Poliatova's striking beauty lies a secret that will unleash her indelible strength and skill to become one of the world's most feared government assassins.

The trailer for this has started showing in the cinema and I'm really looking forward to seeing it, lots of action, and Helen Mirren... what more could you ask for?


Escape Plan: The Extractors - Starring Sylvester Stallone, Dave Bautista and Curtis Jackson (50 Cent). After security expert Ray Breslin is hired to rescue the kidnapped daughter of a Hong Kong tech mogul from a formidable Latvian prison, Breslin's girlfriend is also captured.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy?! Did they learn nothing from Escape Plan 2: Hades?!

Midsommar - Starring Florence Pugh, Will Poulter and Jack Reynor. A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.

This has something intriguing about it, I see this as a potential Unlimited Screening but I'll have to wait and see!

The Queen's Corgi - The British monarch's (Dame Julie Walters') favourite dog gets lost from the palace and finds himself at a dog fight club. He then begins his long journey to find his way back home.

I've seen the trailer a few trailers, it looks like an amusing one to pass the time, at the very least.

10th July 2019


Annabelle Comes Home - Starring Vera Farmiga, Mckenna Grace and Patrick Wilson. Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren keep a possessed doll locked up in an artefacts room in their house. When the doll awakens the room's evil spirits, it soon becomes a night of terror for the couple's young daughter and her friends.

I've not seen anything in this series before but the storyline in this one looks good... I will however not be seeing it at the cinema as I'm ultimately a big scaredy cat.

12th July 2019


★ The Dead Don't Die - Starring Adam Driver and Bill Murray. The peaceful town of Centerville finds itself battling a zombie horde as the dead start rising from their graves.

This looks genuinely amazing and I can't wait. Great cast list too.


The Intruder - Starring Dennis Quaid, Meagan Good and Michael Ealy. A young married couple buy a beautiful house on several acres of land only to find out that the man they bought it from refuses to let go of the property.

Let's hope this time is the charm for its release!

★ Stuber - Dave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani. A detective recruits his Uber driver into an unexpected night of adventure.

I caught this trailer for the first time a couple of days ago and it looks like so much fun. I imagine this is what the Deadpool/Dopinder relationship would be if Deadpool too a step back from the murdering.


13th July 2019


Pavarotti - A look at the life and work of opera legend Luciano Pavarotti. Directed by Ron Howard.

I get goosebumps just listening to him sing in this trailer. I've already got a ticket booked to see this with and I'm interested to see how they're put this together.


19th July 2019


The Lion King - Live action remake. After the murder of his father, a young lion prince flees his kingdom only to learn the true meaning of responsibility and bravery.

Now, I have thoughts about this already but I'm going to hold them back until I've seen the film. This isn't one I remember from childhood so I'm hoping that it comes off slightly better than Aladdin did for me.

Tell It To The Bees - Starring Anna Paquin. In 1950s small-town Britain, a doctor develops a relationship with her young patient's mother.

I haven't heard of this one, and I can't say the trailer was overly exciting. I'm not sure about the release of this and the trailer says "cinema and streaming", we shall wait and see.

26th July 2019


The Current War - Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Tom Holland and Nicholas Hoult. The dramatic story of the cutthroat race between electricity titans Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse to determine whose electrical system would power the modern world.

It took longer than it should have done for me to "get" the title of the film. This is an interesting looking trailer, and with such a good selection of talent in it I'm interested to give it a watch.

Teen Spirit - Starring Ella Fanning. Violet is a shy teenager who dreams of escaping her small town and pursuing her passion to sing. With the help of an unlikely mentor, she enters a local singing competition that will test her integrity, talent and ambition.

I'm not sure what it is about music movies at the moment, it seems to be very fashionable, and this is another one where an actor we didn't know could sing sings.

26th July 2019


Charlie Says - Starring Merritt Wever and Matt Smith. The tragic tale of an all-American girl who was transformed into a cold-blooded killer in the summer of 1969.

And the eternal favourite, serial killer stories. I don't know how I feel about the casting of Matt Smith in this, from the Doctor to this... I suppose there are some crossovers.



Happy watching!

Comments