The Angry Birds Movie 2 ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


The birds and pigs still have their differences, but they must flock together when a greater enemy makes itself known.


Review


The first Angry Birds movie is one of my favourites, it's light-hearted fun that I can just put on if I need some distraction, so I was just a little excited for this coming out.

The fight against the pigs is much more of a game than an all-out war these days. Red is living the life of a hero, but he worries that one day the inhabitants of the island won't need him.

Over on Piggy Island their attention is drawn to an uncharted part of the world when a large ice ball falls from the sky. Leonard raises the white flag to ask Red to join him in defending their island against this new frosty neighbour.

Red is very relatable in this one and it's nice that he's come on a bit since the first film. They've given him a lot of anxiety that the audience will be able to identify with, and he definitely holds my same views on speed dating.

Hatchlings have always been the cutest things in Angry Birds and these three are a brilliant part of this one. Their reactions to everything that happens with the eggs is hilarious. There's one troubling incident with a snake that makes them less cute... but the less said about that the better. [Although it's in the trailer above if you want to see it.]

I have to say that out of the new characters I found it very difficult to recognise them. Everyone did a great job though and the new faces were always what they needed to be. There was just one confusing thing for me, Leslie Jones and Tiffany Haddish. I think they're both great actresses and I particularly like Haddish's voice work, but... I feel like they were cast in the wrong roles. I don't know why I think that, perhaps because I associate Haddish with larger than life bossy characters? I'm genuinely not sure.

It's a fun addition to the universe but I don't think it was better than the first. It was nice seeing the birds and pigs working together in a sort of Mission: Impossible/James Bond style infiltration piece but I wasn't excited about the story that gets them there. This mystery island that no one knows about has appeared like a bonus level in a game but you've skipped the intro. We're left with lots of questions but not enough fun to cover them up. I can't say I was happy about the ending either, there was a very quick resolution to it. It was still untaxing entertainment though and sometimes that's just what you need.

Side note: Something you'll notice is that there's a lot of music to recognise, some real bangers, but when they keep coming it begins to get rather tiring. I attempted to make a list but it became such an effort that I gave up.

What you should do


It's not the worst kids film you could be forced into seeing with the family so it might be worth catching it if you're at a loose end.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I'd like a hatchling please, Terence's daughter to be specific.

Comments