The Shiny Shrimps ★★★★ ½ | Movie Review

Synopsis


When an Olympic champion swimmer makes a homophobic remark on TV the committee tells him he must become the coach to The Shiny Shrimps, a flamboyant amateur water-polo team, if he wants to compete again. The Shiny Shrimps are headed to the Gay Games, but the ride is a bit bumpier than they'd like.


Review


Sometimes I go to films and have absolutely no knowledge of what I'm about to see. My Friday night viewing was exactly that, two films and all I know is they weren't about a scary clown.

Matthias' only way back to competing in the World Championships is to make amends for the homophobic comment he made to a pushy reporter. To do this he has to coach The Shiny Shrimps, an LGBT water-polo team that are heading for The Gay Games in Croatia.

Everyone is battling their own demons but The Shiny Shrimps are a family and they all have a place there. To reach the top they all must put aside their difference and accept each other for what they are at heart.

The cast were all fantastic, while there are a lot of stereotypes flying around none of them felt like they were overplayed for the sake of a laugh in the story. The friendships and competition between everyone involved really gave you a sense of everyone's personality and there are qualities that they all brought to the screen that I'm sure everyone would be able to identify with on some level. They all felt very real and I really felt for them when the story wanted me to.

The story initially centres around Matthias, played by Nicolas Gob, he's probably the only one who doesn't quite live up to the above sentiment. I think Gob does a great job in the role, it's more to do with the way Matthias is written. You know that he's going to soften to the situation he's in, after all, what sort of story would it be otherwise? There's one point where he has a change of heart that is frustratingly quick, it isn't believable at all. Had it been slightly more subtle and gradual change through the film I think it would have been much more effective.

The film itself felt a little long, I can't say that I was bored at any point of the proceedings though. All the pieces had a purpose, or at least felt like they did, and everything has something to take away from it.

A lot of the action obviously happens in water and the way it's done on screen is great. Most are on the surface and the chaotic splashing actually helps to get you hyped up for the matches because you're constantly trying to see what's happening. The underwater shots are very effective, particularly in the end. That whole sequence was beautifully done and I wish I could explain it without spoiling the scene, it needs to be seen.

Sadly, and yet thankfully, I was the only one in the showing for this. I could ugly cry in peace and didn't have anyone distracting me. It was like the perfect storm of cinema-going and I'm so glad that I go to watch this film in that way. While subtitled films aren't for everyone I would recommend trying it anyway, this really deserves to be seen.

What you should do


If you can find somewhere showing The Shiny Shrimps then please go and see it. It's a wonderful film.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


If I could have the ability to look that good in a dress I'd be a happy woman.

Comments