A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis 


Based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod.

Directed by Marielle Heller.
Starring Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys.
Released 31st January 2020.


Review 


Even if you didn't grow up with Mr Rogers there's a good chance you still know who he is. He was the peak of wholesome TV for kids and he shaped the minds of more than one generation of society, this film is nearly as inspiring as his life.

Lloyd is a journalist. He's been given an assignment to do, but he's not keen on the idea of interviewing Mr Rogers. Lloyd has his own issues to deal with and, well, he's a little on the stubborn side. Lloyd soon learns that it's difficult not to be around Mr Rogers, Fred. He's calm and insightful, and knows exactly what needs to be said and when.

The film starts with a perfect homage to Mr Rogers and his show, the miniature city and the gentleness of everything, even without the first hand nostalgic feeling it's a very calm and tranquil moment.

After we get our introduction to Lloyd and find out he works for a magazine we're shown a video about how people make a magazine... I love these videos. I'm amazed that you still see the old 60s/70s ones making the rounds these days.

Our first proper introduction to Mr Rogers comes on set when Lloyd arrives for the interview and find him on set with a child and his parents who have come to visit. It's a charming encapsulation of his character and how he was able to reach out to people who were in need.

Hanks was an amazing choice for this, the calm confident manner is something he seems perfect for. His attention to detail when you see footage side by side is just incredible. I don't know that anyone else in Hollywood would have been good for this role, I'm really glad it was Hanks.

Matthew Rhys playing Lloyd Vogel gets to be a powerful thing in this, for this point I'm not talking about as Lloyd but what he represents to the viewer. A lot of us will get to take the same journey Lloyd goes through in the film, it allows you to fall to Mr Rogers' personality in the same way he does. Rhys makes Lloyd the perfect contrast for Hanks' Rogers, the cynicism, the constant surprise that comes across his face, a great combination.

There are so many touching scenes in A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood and I genuinely smiled a lot and felt like I was staring wide-eyed at the screen. If I was younger, and more limber I think I'd have ended up sitting crosslegged, elbows on knees, resting my head on my hands as I watched.

In a world full of troubles this film is a moment of peace and tranquility. There's no real way to explain how I felt after seeing this. I was definitely moved by it, there was a sense of peace... I can only hope that everyone gets this same sad yet somehow uplifting feeling from it.

What you should do 


This is such a cathartic watch that I really would advise you to go and see it when it's released.

Movie thing you wish you could take home 


I took home such a great feeling, I don't need anything else after that.

Comments