Dark Waters ★★★★ ½ | Movie Review

Synopsis 


A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution.

Directed by Todd Haynes.
Based on The New York Times magazine article "The Lawyer Who Became DuPont's Worst Nightmare" by Nathaniel Rich.
Starring Mark Ruffalo, Anne Hathaway and Tim Robbins.
Released 28th February 2020.


Review 


There were so many trailers for this that, as many of us predicted, there was an Unlimited Screening in our futures.

Rob Bilott is climbing the ladder as a corporate attorney and just as he gets a promotion a troubling case drops into his hands. Wilbur Tennant arrives with a box of evidence they've collected from their town. DuPont Chemicals have been good to the town... in the past, but some of the residents believe that they've slowly poisoning every living thing in its shadow.

Trying to find the evidence to what seems like a clear cut case is difficult when the company's influence is so far reaching, at every turn they're ready to do what it takes to protect themselves and their bottom line no matter the cost to everyone else.

I wasn't on the edge of my seat watching Dark Waters but I was wowed by what I saw. The negative comments in my notes were few and far between, and those that I did make were mainly personal preferences.

It's very unusual for me to come out without an acting or character flaw, perhaps there's someone who felt neglected or given a bad hand by the script. In Dark Waters I felt impressed with everyone, there wasn't a single bit of acting that made me furrow my brow or audibly scoff at the screen.

Mark Ruffalo as Rob Bilott may have been understated but that felt accurate for the real life side of things and I was fine with that. He conveyed the stress of his position and the anxiety and fear so well that you could feel it too. His relationships were all very different and each one stuck to the things that they needed to highlight within the story, the fraught relationship with his wife Sarah was particularly sharp.

If you look at Anne Hathaway's acting credits there are quite a few roles that don't exactly scream breathtaking, sure there are some fun roles in there but nothing has felt like they really took her to the next level... until now. Her portrayal of Sarah Bilott felt so incredibly real. The emotions were all on display from anger to fear, it was so strong. In one scene where Rob is trying to explain to her just how bad the fallout from DuPont's Teflon scandal is you can see Sarah's mind at work, she looks around the room at everything as he's talking and the panic is evident on her face. This coupled with the rollercoaster she has to go through with Rob when they visit the town finally showed me just how well Hathaway can handle these serious roles.

Everything you see on screen brings across a sense of the era we're looking at, from flashback to the more present day we're given points to focus on. You see phone technology changing and styles, companies and attitudes. One of my notes was that while you do see that happening it doesn't feel like it filters through consistently. It may just be a case that the jumps in time mean that it will be a striking difference, but it seemed to really hit you in the face with product placement.

With a lot of video evidence and news footage being used there's a consistent grainy effect on it all... this is one of those personal preference comments... while I understand it and it makes sense I didn't like it. I know, super picky aren't I? So while I'm at it, there's also a random artsy shot in there that made me queasy and confused.

It's difficult to really comprehend the magnitude of this topic and the fact that someone/something was more interested in profit than the lives of those that helped them become who they were. It's horrific and paranoia-inducing. Somehow they managed to show that story without it getting out of hand and I think that's a real credit to everyone involved. I might not ever need to see this film again but I would absolutely recommend it to everyone.

What you should do 


If you like films that are based on a true story then I would absolutely recommend this to you, there's very little to dislike about it apart from DuPont.

Comments