Queen & Slim ★★ ½ ☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis 


A couple's first date takes an unexpected turn when a police officer pulls them over.

Directed by Melina Matsoukas.
Starring Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith.


Review 


Queen and Slim share a nice, if odd, first date. Driving her home after dinner their night takes a turn as they're pulled over by a police officer. It's clear that he's less than happy, and when he asks Slim to step out of the car with no real reason Queen, as a lawyer, tries to stand for what's right. What happens next leaves them both changed and they need to escape what's coming, but neither are prepared for what it'll lead them to.

Queen and Slim was interesting and yet at times boring. The basic idea is that these two are on the run after committing a crime, that can be a thrilling ride to be on, but between the thrilling, there was a lot of filler. It wasn't bad, it's artistically shot, but at some point that doesn't make up for the lack of scene.

There's also a technique employed that really didn't sit well with me. In those in-between bits when we're shown characters there's a voiceover when they're sitting looking intense. The first time it happened I honestly thought something had gone wrong with the audio but it all went back to normal fairly quickly. Then it happened a second time and I suddenly realised... this is a thing. I didn't feel like it added anything to the film, rather it took me out of the scenes every time.

Our peripheral characters are all solid and I was particularly impressed with the lad playing the mechanics son, Jahi Di'Allo Winston. While he wasn't in a lot of the film his moments were important and held an interesting message about what was occurring in the film.

With our main characters there was a big issue I had from the very beginning. I didn't particularly like Queen as a character. Even considering the events that take place for her outside of the film's main timeline I found her actions to be unbelievable compared to the image of her as a person that we'd already gleaned. In turn, I found the reactions of Slim to be against character too. This led to a lot of other similar issues through the whole film.

Jodie Turner-Smith's performance felt a little flat, while some of that will be to do with the way Queen was written I didn't get any flashes of something unique to latch on to. Daniel Kaluuya also might not have had the best writing to deal with but his performance was much more impressive.

While the story was an interesting one and brings up a lot to think about when it comes to social justice I was almost instantly taken out of it by Queen's actions, and then put off again by the strange voiceovers. I don't think I will need to watch this one again, while there are good bits in Queen and Slim there was way too much that was just okay between them.

What you should do 


While this doesn't connect with me there are still some strong moments in it, I would recommend giving it a try if the story is of interest to you.

Comments