UK Movie Releases - March 2020

There are 26 new releases marked for March 2020, it's a real mixed bag. I've got my eye on 8 of that number for high ratings (or high enjoyment, I'll be happy either way), click on the links to watch their trailers.

Which of the March releases are you looking forward to the most?



6th March 2020


Escape From Pretoria - Starring Daniel Radcliffe and Ian Hart. In 1979 apartheid-era South Africa, two men imprisoned in Pretoria Prison plot to escape.

This could be something really good, but I'm concerned that while there's a lot of Radcliffe in the trailer you never really see much from him.

Fantasy Island - Starring Lucy Hale, Maggie Q and Charlotte McKinney. A horror adaptation of the popular '70s TV show about a magical island resort.


Blumhouse are another A24 with me, I either love their films or hate them, despite the early responses to this one I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

★ Military Wives - Starring Kristin Scott Thomas and Sharon Horgan. With their partners away serving in Afghanistan, a group of women on the home front form a choir and quickly find themselves at the centre of a media sensation and global movement.


This is a classic looking film along the lines of Fisherman's Friends and Finding Your Feet. My predictions are I will be emotionally moved and I'll cry, this sort of storyline gets me every time.

★ Onward - Starring Tom Holland, Chris Pratt and Octavia Spencer. Set in a suburban fantasy world, two teenage elf brothers embark on a quest to discover if there is still magic out there.


I'm not blown away by the trailers for Onward, but it's Pixar, and I'm pretty sure I'll come out the other end loving this. Mythical creatures are something I love so it's definitely high on my list this month. [Spoiler alert for my upcoming review... it was enjoyable but...]

The Photograph - Starring LaKeith Stanfield and Issa Rae. A series of intertwining love stories set in the past and in the present.

This pair look really strong in the trailers and I'm hoping this is something consistent in the rest of the film.

Sulphur and White - Starring Mark Stanley, Anna Friel and Dougray Scott. City of London, trading floor, 2008, in a world of cutthroat deals it takes a unique person to succeed. Single-minded to the point of ruthless, David is this person. But beyond the aura of success lies a secret. There are layers to David once chipped away, what lies behind the facade?

Another one that doesn't really grab me, I may try and read up on its subject matter before going to see this one in the hopes of being better prepared for what it has to offer.

11th March 2020


The Hunt - Starring Betty Gilpin and Emma Roberts. Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt.


When this got cancelled from its original release I was so annoyed because I desperately wanted to see it, imagine my joy to walk into my cinema on Friday and see the poster up with a release date of March 11th. I'm going to be preparing for this gratuitous violence by watching The Condemned and Rezort.

13th March 2020


And Then We Danced - Starring Levan Gelbakhiani, Bachi Valishvili and Ana Javakishvili. A passionate coming-of-age tale set amidst the conservative confines of modern Tbilisi, the film follows Merab, a competitive dancer who is thrown off balance by the arrival of Irakli, a fellow male dancer with a rebellious streak.

Sadly I imagine there won't be much chance of me seeing this one, for the quick glimpse of the trailer it looks like it has some potential, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Bacurau - Starring BĂĄrbara Colen, Thomas Aquino and Silvero Pereira. After the death of her grandmother, Teresa comes home to her matriarchal village in a near-future Brazil to find a succession of sinister events that mobilizes all of its residents.

If I'm honest, I don't know what was happening in that trailer... but I want to see this one.

Bloodshot - Starring Vin Diesel. Ray Garrison, a slain soldier, is re-animated with superpowers.


The trailer for Bloodshot does nothing for me but the idea does, I've got my fingers crossed it's one of those times where the trailer is wrong.

Calm With Horses - Starring Barry Keoghan, Ned Dennehy and Niamh Algar. In darkest rural Ireland, ex-boxer Douglas 'Arm' Armstrong has become the feared enforcer for the drug-dealing Devers family, whilst also trying to be a good father to his autistic five-year-old son, Jack. Torn between these two families, Arm's loyalties are truly tested when he is asked to kill for the first time.

There's very little around on this to get a proper sense of what the film might have in store, sadly the clips don't create much of a buzz for it.

Misbehaviour - Starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Jessie Buckley and Keira Knightley. A group of women hatch a plan to disrupt the 1970 Miss World beauty competition in London.


A lot of talented people pop up throughout the trailer for this, it rings of something we'd get an Unlimited screening of. Definitely interested to see how this story is brought to the screen.

My Spy - Starring Dave Bautista, Kristen Schaal and Parisa Fitz-Henley. A hardened CIA operative finds himself at the mercy of a precocious 9-year-old girl, having been sent undercover to surveil her family.

We might actually get this film this time! I'm not going to lie, I was looking forward to this when I first saw the trailer. A tough guy in a film with a kid, The Pacifier, The Game Plan, they were fun, Playing With Fire... not so much but still, I've got my fingers crossed.

Run - Starring Mark Stanley. In Fraserburgh, young men dream of escapism through late-night drag races. Finnie used to be one, but now he works at the fish factory and it's his son's turn to race. Until one night he steals the boy's car for one last joyride.

I saw this last year at the London Film Festival, it was a slow one but I quite enjoyed it. Not to be confused with the new Sarah Paulson film which is out in the US in May.

19th March 2020


A Quiet Place Part II - Starring Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt and John Krasinski. Following the events at home, the Abbott family now face the terrors of the outside world. Forced to venture into the unknown, they realize the creatures that hunt by sound are not the only threats lurking beyond the sand path.

When the first film came out I nearly didn't see it because the trailer made it look terrifying, I ended up enjoying it though and I'm hoping this second instalment will do a similar job... though all I really want is the whole origin story.

20th March 2020


Astronaut - Starring Richard Dreyfuss. A lonely widower battles his family, ill health and time to win a competition for a golden ticket to space.

It's only a short snippet in that trailer but I'm intrigued.

Climbing Blind - Starring Jesse Dufton. Blind climber Jesse Dufton's ascent of the Old Man of Hoy.

A documentary about this amazing ascent, even fully sighted I would not be attempting this one.

Dogs Don't Wear Pants - Starring Pekka Strang, Krista Kosonen and Ilona Huhta. Juha has lost his wife in a drowning accident. Years after he still feels numb and unable to connect with people. Meeting Mona, a dominatrix, changes everything.

I missed this at the London Film Festival last year, I honestly don't know what this one will be like but I would think you'll have to hunt around if you want to see it.

Radioactive - Starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Rosamund Pike and Sam Riley. A story of the scientific and romantic passions of Marie Sklodowska-Curie (Polish scientist) and Pierre Curie, and the reverberation of their discoveries throughout the 20th century.


Rosamund Pike is such an amazing talent, I'm looking forward to her portrayal of Marie Curie

The Jesus Rolls - Starring John Turturro, Bobby Cannavale and Audrey Tautou. A spin-off of The Big Lebowski centred on the notable bowler, Jesus Quintana.

I honestly don't know what I just watched in that trailer, it didn't make a lot of sense to me and it's been a while since I saw The Big Lebowski to know if that memory would have helped.

The Truth - Starring Catherine Deneuve, Juliette Binoche and Ethan Hawke. A stormy reunion between scriptwriter Lumir with her famous mother and actress, Fabienne, against the backdrop of Fabienne's autobiographic book and her latest role in a Sci-Fi picture as a mother who never grows old.

I'm not inspired by the trailer, it's another one that I can't see myself getting the chance to see and I don't think I will mind that so much.

27th March 2020


Mulan - Starring Yifei Liu, Donnie Yen and Jet Li. A young Chinese maiden disguises herself as a male warrior in order to save her father. A live-action feature film based on Disney's 'Mulan.'


I only saw the animated version of Mulan in the last year and I absolutely loved it. Those of you who are familiar with my viewing habits will know I have a dislike for Disney remakes... I'm looking at you Lion King and Aladdin... but I'm on board for this one. I'll miss Mushu but there is so much potential in this story to make something strong and intense that I'm really hopeful. I'm looking forward to the avalanche scene, it was epic in animation so live action should be breathtaking.

The Painted Bird - Starring Stellan SkarsgĂ„rd, Harvey Keitel and Barry Pepper. A young Jewish boy somewhere in Eastern Europe seeks refuge during World War II where he encounters many different characters.

I watched the trailer and read the synopsis and wouldn't quite have put the two together. There's an interesting cast here but with only a two minute trailer to go off I can't quite get a sense of what to expect.

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway - Starring James Cordon, Domhnall Gleeson and Rose Byrne. While Thomas McGregor and Bea are on their honeymoon, Peter Rabbit runs away from home. There, he befriends a rabbit who is an old friend of Peter's father. He then finds himself drawn into another life that he never even knew about.

The trailer for this does nothing for me, it also seems to do nothing for the children who saw it in a screening recently. Trolls, they loved it, this, not even a titter.

Vivarium - Starring Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots. A young couple looking for the perfect home find themselves trapped in a mysterious labyrinth-like neighbourhood of identical houses.

I saw this one at the London Film Festival and it's very much along the lines of Dimension 404, Black Mirror and The Twilight Zone, it's the twisted world view that has become popular again with viewing audiences.



Happy watching!

Comments