Born On This Day: Hugh Laurie

Hugh Laurie was born on June 11th, 1959. He's a man of many talents, actor, author, comedian and singer, and I'm sure we've all got something different that pops into our mind when he's mentioned.

First film/show from their filmography:


The first thing I think I remember him from has to be Blackadder, though choosing between The Third and Goes Forth would be a tough decision to make.

Most watched:


This one is easily Arthur Christmas where he plays Steve, Santa's oldest son. I'm not sure it's the sort of role I'd expect him to do but it's certainly one that I love and I watch this way more than I should out of season.

Favourite role:


So tricky... do I pick Jasper from 101 Dalmatians or House? Don't make me choose!!

Appearance you'd forgotten about:


Totally forgot that Maybe Baby happened!

Film you haven't seen but really should:


Don't come at me for this one... but I've never seen... Stuart Little.

Filmography highlights:


Blackadder II (1986) - I honestly didn't remember he was in this series.
Blackadder The Third (1987) - There's something glorious about him in period costume.
Blackadder Goes Forth (1989) - Maybe this is my favourite, bless him.
101 Dalmatians (1996) - What a buffoon, adorable even if he is a little evil.
The Bill (1998) - Every British actor should be in The Bill, but I didn't realise he did it after he got his break.
Friends (1998) - As yes, The One With Ross' Wedding, Part 2.
Stuart Little (1999) - Yes, yes... I'll watch it at some point.
Maybe Baby (2000) - I do vaguely remember watching this around when it came out.
Stuart Little 2 (2002) - If I'm watching one I might as well watch both.
House M.D. (2004-2012) - I'm still not convinced I've seen the last series.
Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) - Oh wait!! Is it too late to make this my favourite role?!
Arthur Christmas (2011) - Ah, Steve... bless you and your efficiency.
The Night Manager (2016) - I still haven't seen this, I was too annoyed at iPlayer taking the first episode off before the last one aired so I couldn't binge the whole thing.
Holmes & Watson (2018) - "Uncredited", probably a good thing.
Catch-22 (2019) - Another one I wanted to watch but I'm not sure it came out over here on a channel I had.
The Personal History Of David Copperfield (2019) - While I didn't like the film I did quite enjoy his role.
Avenue 5 (2020) - I watched this when it came out and it's not a bad comedy, Laurie's role is definitely one of the highlights.

Let me know your favourite Hugh Laurie roles in the comments below.

Comments