Portrait Of A Lady On Fire ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis


On an isolated island in Brittany at the end of the eighteenth century, a female painter is obliged to paint a wedding portrait of a young woman.

Directed and written by Céline Sciamma.
Starring Noémie Merlant and Adèle Haenel.
Available on physical and digital to buy.


Review


Luck was not with me when it came to seeing this, I turned down an opportunity to see it and then Rona cancelled the ticket I booked for it. I finally managed to see it on one of the many free trials for streaming services I picked up while I was confined to the house.

Marianne is hired to paint a wedding portrait of Héloïse in secret after a failed attempt has left her against the whole idea. Marianne is presented as a companion and spends her days observing the bride to be before taking to her chamber to paint at night. As her deadline approaches the pair's bond goes from strength to strength despite their future being set in stone.

Portrait is simple in so many ways and yet utterly complex. Set mostly in a desolate island location in a large family home you would expect to have the ornate and busy look of a period drama, but this is the unfussiest film I've seen in this genre. There's no clutter, no excess characters, no frivolous dialogue or scenes, their relationship is all that needs to be focused on, everything else just happens to be there.

It's difficult to describe how this film made me feel, it's serene even in the chaotic moments and I keep finding myself at a loss when it comes to putting that down in words.

I could gush on about Portrait for ages but I don't want to take away from you seeing it, the fact is that it's breathtaking. The shots, the dynamics of the cast, the fact that the film doesn't need filler... I was unsure going in (even though I wanted to watch it) but by the end I was a devastated wreck who wanted to see it all over again.

What you should do


While subtitles aren't for everyone I would highly recommend seeing Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, it's beautifully made and leaves me speechless.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


That scenery.

Comments