Noelle ★★★★☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Santa's daughter must take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the Santa role, gets cold feet.

Directed and written by Marc Lawrence.
Starring Anna Kendrick, Shirley MacLaine and Bill Hader.
Released currently on Disney+ to stream.


Review


It's been 84 years...okay, only a year, but Disney+ really screwed us over on that one in the UK.

Noelle and Nick have grown up in the wonderful world of Christmas. Nick is destined to take his father's place, but when that time comes the magic doesn't, and he decides to take a break the week before Christmas to relax... and doesn't come back. Noelle must venture out into the real world to rescue Nick, and Christmas.

I had managed to zone out on the film before seeing it, I was basically sold on the idea of a Christmas film starring Anna Kendrick that was written and directed by Marc Lawrence... I genuinely didn't need to hear anything else, and so didn't bother with anything extra before I pressed play.

To say I was shocked at the beginning is an understatement, but I can understand why this particular piece of information wasn't in the descriptions... though the blatant lie in the synopsis above seems a little off. I doubt me revealing the actual shocking moment could constitute a spoiler as in hindsight it's pretty obvious, but I'm going to leave it at that vagueness just incase... sorry!

Noelle is easy to predict, but as traditional Christmas fodder I don't think that's really an issue. Its predictability allows you to sit back and relax while you watch it.

I did enjoy the story, and Anna Kendrick does a wonderful job of the naivety in Noelle as she explores the city. She gives the film an amusing lightness with some genuine moments that add some emotion into the proceedings.

Shirley MacLaine as Polly works well in her role as a sidekick and the humour at the beginning particularly amused me. There was definitely something in her that I could identify with.

I sadly wasn't really wowed with much of the ensemble. Maceo Smedley as Alex made a great job of his role and the relationship he had with his father, the script seemed to work nicely with to highlight his kind nature and personality... but other performances were... fine... and helped to move everything along. The characters were much the same, though Gabe Kringle seemed to be missing something to give him that little extra, even with the "nerdiness" factor that they could have worked with he didn't hit the spot.

Early on I was really worried about the effect that were used, Snowcone looked a little ropey, thankfully, although it didn't get any better, the adorableness made up for it in spades.

I really did enjoy the feeling I got from this film, Kendrick's spirit was rather infectious and her humour, intentional or not, brought a smile to my face. At just 1 hour 40 this is well worth your time to watch. While there might be room for improvement I think it's exactly the sort of film that's needed at Christmas, and especially this year.

What you should do


Definitely worth a watch if you have a Disney+ subscription, festive niceties that are really all we need right now.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I'm torn between Noelle's bedroom or Snowcone.

Comments