The Emmie Awards 2020

What a year this has been. It's certainly been a rollercoaster for cinema-goers (we'll not even talk about the reason why). In the last 9 months I've been to the cinema less than I'd have gone in a week of Unlimited, and overall it's only been around 44 compared to last year's 200 and something trips. Of all the challenges life can hand you, this isn't the biggest one, but I don't just go to the cinema to see good (and sometimes bad) films, so to say this year has been a struggle is a bit of an understatement.

Thankfully though, even with the ups and downs, there have still been some cinematic highlights (admittedly fewer "hidden gems" have surfaced), and I've managed to see 101 new UK releases... which is quite an achievement when the call of good old familiar films from my collection is so strong. 

Let's get on with what you came for... drumroll please... Welcome to this year's Emmie Awards!


Based On A Book

By far my favourite adaptation this year was the Invisible Man, I loved the modernisation of this and quite frankly I would love to see a whole set of the Universal Monster Movies done by Blumhouse in this vein. So much was right about this film that it even somehow managed to successfully spoil a scene in its trailer and yet somehow that didn't matter!

Although I wanted to get rid of the Wooden Spoons in this year's awards I felt this category absolutely needed it for the garbage fire that was Artemis Fowl... BAD DISNEY! BAD! *sprays Disney with a water bottle* Though I actually gave The Turning a lower score overall, Fowl definitely was, and as such a disappointment compared to its source material it easily won the spoon for this category.

Films In A Franchise

Compared to normal times there weren't that many franchise films to choose from in my list, but Bad Boys For Life is definitely my top pick. I thought this was a really great follow-up, and I was really surprised by how emotional it was. It was a great resurrection of the series and they managed to pay homage to the originals while still do something that felt modern... and Reggie, bless him.

Based On A True Story

I can't split my two top choices apart, both Dark Waters and Richard Jewell were incredible films with some amazing performances all round. Dark Waters was an odd watch, it shocked me and at one point I felt like I was just staring at the screen dumbfounded by what was happening. Richard Jewell was a showcase of wonderful acting, Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell led a powerful cast, and Kathy Bates had me choking up in the cinema.

Outstanding Performance

There were many performances that probably deserve a mention here, but I had to single out Sam Rockwell. His roles in Jojo Rabbit and Richard Jewell (and Trolls World Tour) made him pop into my head instantly when writing this list. He's always a pull for me in a cast list and this year was particularly strong.

Why Would You Do That To Me?

Two films this year had me in an emotional mess and made it to the top of this category that is saved for films that basically make me cry so much I'm dehydrated. Although I saw A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood last year at the London Film Festival it was released in the UK in January, I was amazed how much this one got me even though this isn't something that I grew up with, or was even familiar with. It had a strange effect on me when I watched it and I would highly recommend everyone see it to get that same feeling, I can't explain it, you just need to see it for yourself. The other film that deserves this title is Herself, another LFF film that caught me, it was so well done and I was crying so early on. I had thought this one made a very fleeting appearance at the cinema when they reopened but checking IMDb it says it's now scheduled for March 2021, I'm still going to leave it here even though I go by UK release dates (sorry, not sorry), it just means I can mention it again next year!

Best Surprise

This category has definitely been impacted by not having the cinema to see new releases in, some things just need to be seen in that format to get the full effect, and even with a giant TV it's not the same.

Birds Of Prey entertained me in so many ways and I loved the feeling from the big screen viewings. The vibrant colours and Margot Robbie's performance were brilliant, and the shoot out in the police station definitely stays with me. I also took away two unexpected things from it, the first being Harley's hangover sandwich, delightfully yummy addition to my meal plans. The second was the extended soundtrack, I loved all the music in it and had to make my own Spotify playlist to get all the songs in and not just the few on the OST... why do they do that?!

Apple TV brought us Wolfwalkers this year, my instant reaction was one of dislike. The style isn't one that I like at all, it's reminded me of so many picture books that I would instantly review and recycle at work... but oh my... did that feeling take a backseat when the story got going. This one was a real unexpected treat.

1917 hit cinemas in January but I don't think it was until after my first viewing that I actually appreciated the effects in it. Before and after videos have circulated showing the immense work that went into it and it blew my mind to see it, I didn't realise how much I'd become immune to some of the technical workings in films. I went back to rewatch it the day after specifically so I could follow the "one-shot" filming that I hadn't noticed the first time around.

The Snap

Last year I added in "The Snap" in homage to the Avengers saga and basically snapped a load of things out of my memory for the year in film... well, it's back!

First up is the "live-action" remake... Disney, stop. This year we had Lady And The Tramp and Mulan, the former was missing the charm of the original, and the latter didn't hold anywhere near the amount of atmosphere that the animated version did. I wasn't a fan of the last set of offerings, so much so that this was also my first snap of 2019... looks like that one didn't work at all!

I feel like I can still feeling the vibrations of the Tenet sound just by remembering it, and I certainly remember feeling like I'd seen it a second time when I went to see New Mutants in the screen next door and could feel it through the wall. It was... there are just not enough words, let's just have a moment of silence...

This year I want to snap three films... first up is Artemis Fowl, I would absolutely recommend putting more time aside and reading the actual book, I just... no. Next is Love Wedding Repeat, if you're not going to actually make a film that matches with what you're going to tell people it's going to be then what even is the point? Lastly, Fantasy Island. I would quite like this one to be remade, loved the idea, but the execution didn't quite live up to that.

While I enjoyed The Gentlemen at the beginning of the year (and Colin Farrell very nearly got Outstanding Performance for his role), Henry Golding's character of Dry Eye struck me such an insane bit of casting and writing that I'd really rather forget it happened.

The long-awaited release of The New Mutants came this year... to very mixed feelings from me. I'm snapping some heavy fingers at the shoehorned romance angles in it, we get that teens are horny but it all felt so forced.

Last snap of the year is for the ending of Lost At Christmas, as I said in my review, I'm impressed they went with it, but daaaamn do I hate it.

Most Rewatchable Film(s)

I've enjoyed a lot of films from this year, but quite a few of them are the sort that you don't really need to watch more than once. I can easily identify two films that fit into this category though and that's My Spy and Noelle. Both gave me a gleeful feeling and I have already watched them several times, and will be watching them several more.

Best Shark Film Of 2020

A few interesting ones this year, but the award goes to Deep Blue Sea 3, and a special shoutout to the shark in We Can Be Heroes. (There will be reviews of both of these coming, but you know, 2020... I don't know what my excuse will be next year!)


It's been an odd year for films, and I'm sure there's another one to come, but whatever the future holds... happy watching! And do drop me what films you'd pick for these categories in the comments below, or on Twitter.

Comments