Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves ★★★★☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


A charming thief and a band of unlikely adventurers embark on an epic quest to retrieve a lost relic, but things go dangerously awry when they run afoul of the wrong people.

Directed by James Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein
Written by Jonathan Goldstein, John Francis Daley and Michael Gilio
Starring Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant and Chloe Coleman
Released out now in UK cinemas


Review


I was looking forward to Dungeons and Dragons, not because I thought it was going to be a cinematic feat, but because I knew it was going to be an entertaining romp. These things should always be an entertaining romp.

Sitting here thinking about the plot... I'm not entirely sure there is much of one, apart from the expected quest to find a relic malarkey.

I still haven’t heard much feedback on this from the nerd community that have watched this… and not being a D&D nerd, I’m not best placed to judge the accuracy of everything. I can, however, tell you that it very much lived up to the “entertaining romp” status I had hoped for.

Honour Among Thieves looked the part, with creatures and costumes that very much conjured a magical air to the proceedings. Ignoring the fact that everything in this is made up, it did at least all look pretty realistic. The production efforts on this felt very impressive and fit everything accurately to the tone.

This might be the textbook depiction of a rag tag band of characters, though perhaps not the way the trailer makes it seem. The trailer appears to have tried to capitalise off recent fame of an actor and I was quite glad to discover they weren’t in it as much as it appeared.

The eternally perky Pine plays off well against the serious Rodriguez, and although we saw some of those scenes in trailers, it didn’t spoil too much.

The selection of actors really did work together. I was pleased to see Chloe Coleman in another film, she’s got great timing, and I don’t think I’ve seen her put in a less than an amazing performance. Hugh Grant put in a typical Hugh Grant performance, and it was appreciated as always.

My only big reservation was Justice Smith, his performance was pretty good, but I kept getting caught on that accent and it kind of permeated every scene... and that was a shame, as the further we got into the film the better his character became.

Everything presented on the screen seemed to have a place, and though I’m sure some bits could have been culled, I don’t think leaving them in caused any pain in its length. There was a lot of enjoyment, and something in every scene kick you right in the intrigue to keep watching.

I can’t wait to see Honour Among Thieves again. It had no right being this good. I think the expectation was for garbage with some slight amusement, but somehow it became a decent action adventure comedy.

What you should do

I feel like this can be enjoyed by everyone.  Yes, it’s nerdy, but it really has that adventure quest going on for it. I would also say it’s worth the ticket for the big screen.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


Jarnathan.

Comments