17 "Ones To Watch"... At The Cinema This Autumn

Despite the fact that I will basically watch anything that's offered to me at my local Cineworld I still have a list of films that I'm looking out for on the schedules. So now that the last quarter of 2018 is here let's take a look at the ones to watch before we hit 2019...


October


Controversially (possibly) in October I'm not excited about Venom. Don't get me wrong, I love a good origin story but the trailer for this left me more "what?" than "wow!" But regardless of that fact the October listings are looking pretty good.

A Star Is Born kicks off the month. I love films that have a musical twang to them and thankfully this isn't the only one in my round-up. It's the story of a singer on his downward spiral who finds a young singer/actress and helps her realise her potential. Listening to Lady Gaga sing in the trailer game me goosebumps, I really can't wait to see it.


Bad Times At The El Royale. The trailer gives me some Kill Bill-esque vibes. Filled with great talent and a lot of intrigue. Seven strangers cross paths at the El Royale and get one last chance at redemption before everything goes to hell.

Smallfoot is the first children's film that I've picked. In a twist on the story that us humans know, one yeti is convinced that the elusive creature known as "human" actually does exist. The trailer is kind of adorable so I'm looking forward to a few laughs.

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween looks to be another fun installment in a franchise. If cinemas don't bring in giant gummy bears to eat then I really don't know what they're thinking!

Hunter Killer. An American sub captain teams up with U.S. Navy Seals to rescue the Russian president. I am going to be brutally honest with this one... I love this sort of film but they do have the potential to go either way on the quality scale. I'm holding out hope for the good side of the scale.

The Hate U Give is a massively popular YA novel and the trailer for this one looks good. Fingers crossed for an excellent tribute.

Bohemian Rhapsody. We're getting a big kick of music this month. Rami Malek certainly looks the part in the tale of a story that we all sort of know. Again, promising trailer and I'm hoping for some goosebump inducing songs to really bring this one home.

Slaughterhouse Rulez looks like St Trinian's, mixed with the aliens from Attack The Block, meets the hellmouth from Sunnydale... and what's not to love about that?! Simon Pegg, Michael Sheen and Nick Frost... action, comedy, horror... when can I book it?


November


November gets a little Christmassy on us, we've also got the much anticipated Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald, but yet again my hopes are elsewhere.

Juliet, Naked looks like another great adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel of the same name about Annie who develops an unlikely romance with faded rock star Tucker Crowe. More music and hopefully something to get me right in the feels.

The Grinch... I couldn't come to Christmas and ignore the Christmas films. I'm a little concerned as Illumination films for me are either yay or nay with no inbetween. But come on, everyone loves a little bit of grump when it comes to the festive season.

Robin Hood is one of those tales that has felt a little overused in the past. I probably would be seeing this one if it wasn't for the fact that I can absolutely see Taron Egerton as Robin.

Anna And The Apocalypse... music, Christmas AND zombies!? Where can I pre-book my ticket?!

Ralph Breaks The Internet... come on... you know it's going to be fun, and you can't deny that you liked the Disney Princess bit in the trailer. Looks like another promising franchise level up.


December


We should be seeing the year out on quite a high film-wise with some big releases just squeezing into the 2018 schedule.

The Old Man And The Gun trailer popped up at my last visit to the cinema. The true story of Forrest Tucker, who at the age of 70 escapes from San Quentin and embarks on a series of heists that enchant the public. It left me with some hope for the "old man robbery" genre that was so horribly ruined by King Of Thieves.

Mortal Engines gave us some great visuals in the trailer of the cities moving around on giant wheels as they pillage resources from the smaller cities. I've got to hope that it delivers for the readers of Reeve's book.

Aquaman is probably my top pick for this quarter. Even if all I get is some good CGI and lots of Jason Momoa I'm going to be happy. It also has a story line... some fighting... you know, all that stuff!

Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in California where he meets Charlie. He's just so damned cute that I'm hoping this is as much fun as it looks.


What's coming out when?


October 3rd: A Star Is Born, Operation Finale (ooh Oscar Isaac).
October 5th: Blindspotting (trailer gave me goosebumps), Blue Iguana (looks like a good heist movie), Columbus, Johnny English Strikes Again, Venom.
October 12th: Bad Times At The El Royale, First Man, Mandy (potentially great nonsense), Smallfoot.
October 19th: Fahrenheit 11/9, Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, Halloween, Hunter Killer.
October 22nd: The Hate U Give.
October 24th: Bohemian Rhapsody.
October 26th: Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot, The Guilty (thrilling trailer), U-July 22.
October 31st: Slaughterhouse Rulez.

November 2nd: Juliet, Naked, The Nutcracker & The Four Realms, Peterloo.
November 6th: Widows (great cast, great director, great writers).
November 7th: Overlord (oh so confused by the description and trailer).
November 9th: The Girl With The Spider's Web, The Grinch, Wildlife.
November 16th: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald, Siberia (Keanu and one of my favourite baddies), Susperia.
November 21st: Robin Hood.
November 23rd: Assassination Nation (looks like carnage), Nobody's Fool (potential for some laughs), Serenity, Shoplifters.
November 30th: Anna & The Apocalypse, Creed II, Disobedience, Ralph Breaks The Internet, Second Act (hmm, disappeared from the listings since I compiled this which is annoying as it looks fun), The Wild Pear Tree.

December 7th: The Old Man & The Gun, Sorry To Bother You (looks funny), White Boy Rick.
December 14th: The House That Jack Built, Lizzie (thriller with potential), Mortal Engines, Spider-man: Into The Spider-Verse.
December 21st: Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns.
December 24th: Papillion.
December 26th: Alita: Battle Angel, Bumblebee, Holmes & Watson.

Comments