UK Movie Releases - December 2019

We've got a short list this month, only 13 for me to list with just 4 of those having piqued my curiosity. It's not entirely surprising though with the year rounding out with the latest Star Wars installment.

Which of December releases are you looking forward to the most?



6th December 2019


Honey Boy - Starring Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges and Noah Jupe. A young actor's stormy childhood and early adult years as he struggles to reconcile with his father and deal with his mental health.

This one was surprisingly popular at the London Film Festival. I enjoyed it though it's not really my sort of thing, but I think it's another great film for Noah Jupe.

Lucy In The Sky - Starring Natalie Portman, Jon Hamm and Zazie Beetz. Astronaut Lucy Cola returns to Earth after a transcendent experience during a mission to space, and begins to lose touch with reality in a world that now seems too small.

I'm intrigued by this one, the reviews haven't been great so far by all accounts but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Motherless Brooklyn - Starring Edward Norton, Bruce Willis and Alec Baldwin. In 1950s New York, a lonely private detective afflicted with Tourette's Syndrome ventures to solve the murder of his mentor and only friend.


The trailer for this looks good and I'll be interested to see Norton's accomplishments, directing, writing and starring. Lots of familiar faces here too so I've got high hopes.

Ordinary Love - Starring Liam Neeson and Lesley Manville. An extraordinary look at the lives of a middle-aged couple in the midst of the wife's breast cancer diagnosis.

Another in the recent spate of bleak life tales, there's only so many of these I can watch and this might have reached saturation point like musical biopics have.

StarDog and TurboCat - Starring Luke Evans, Nick Frost and Gemma Arterton. A loyal dog and a vigilante cat embark on a space age voyage to find their way home.

This looks... horrendous. Not Wheely horrendous but pretty close.

11th December 2019


Jumanji: The Next Level - Starring the usual favourite with added Danny DeVito and Danny Glover. In Jumanji: The Next Level, the gang is back but the game has changed. As they return to rescue one of their own, the players will have to brave parts unknown from arid deserts to snowy mountains, to escape the world's most dangerous game.


I'm very excited for this, there's an Unlimited screening coming up so can't wait to get my fix a little earlier than scheduled!

12th December 2019


Black Christmas - Starring Imogen Poots, Cary Elwes and Lily Donoghue. A group of female students are stalked by a stranger during their Christmas break. That is until the young sorority pledges discover that the killer is part of an underground college conspiracy.


I'm looking forward to this one, I've not seen the previous outings of this story but I enjoy a slasher film mixed with a bit of randomness so bring it on!

19th December 2019


Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Starring Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley. The surviving Resistance faces the First Order once more in the final chapter of the Skywalker saga.

I'm honestly not that bothered about this, of course I'll be going to see it but I can't even really remember what happened in the previous two films... I'm sure someone will tell me though. I'm just happy it will mean that everything else that's on will be pretty empty!

20th December 2019


Cats - Starring so many people I won't list them all off. A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.


While a lot of the internet is out hating on the Cats trailers I'm sitting here really excited to see it. When I saw the first one I felt a lot of vibes from seeing it on the stage so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one brings.

The Courier - Starring Olga Kurylenko, Gary Oldman and Amit Shah. A courier in London discovers that one of the packages she's transporting is a bomb.

I don't know that I like the carbon copy action style title graphics in the trailer but it might have some potential in there when it comes to the film.

26th December 2019


Little Women - Starring Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Timothée Chalamet and Florence Pugh. Four sisters come of age in America in the aftermath of the Civil War.

I'm not one for period dramas generally so we're already not off to a great start, the second set of drawbacks are the cast, I'm not a fan of Ronan, Watson or Pugh and have only in the last month taken to Chalamet's acting style... this is going to be a tough one.

Playing With Fire - Starring John Cena, Keegan-Michael Key, John Leguizamo and Brianna Hildebrand. A crew of rugged firefighters meet their match when attempting to rescue three rambunctious kids.

I've already seen this one thanks to a preview screening... I can absolutely say that it isn't worth seeing, which is really disappointing for me as I was looking forward to something on the lighter side. Review coming soon.

Spies In Disguise - Starring Will Smith and Tom Holland. When the world's best spy is turned into a pigeon, he must rely on his nerdy tech officer to save the world.

I'm not sure on this one at all, it's either going to be delightfully average or super entertaining. I don't see it being terrible... but I've been wrong before.



Happy watching!

Comments