Inside Man: Most Wanted ★★☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


An NYPD hostage negotiator teams up with a federal agent to rescue dozens of tourists held hostage during a 10-hour siege at the U.S. Federal Reserve.

Directed by M. J. Bassett.
Written by Brian Brightly and Russell Gewirtz.
Starring Aml Ameen, Rhea Seehorn and Roxanne McKee.
Released available to buy.


Review


I was drawn to this one after an ultimatum from Now TV that it was only going to be available for one more day. This after having it in my watchlist for a rather long time. I had some slight dread for this lengthy weight for a sequel.

NYPD and the FBI handle a hostage negotiation at the US Federal Reserve. With civilians and one of their own inside they must draw on all their knowledge to try and resolve the situation without letting their egos and knowledge of the past cloud their judgement.

There's nothing like having to follow a popular film, and I'm not sure there would be many sequels that I would praise over its predecessor. Thankfully that isn't a point I need to ponder on for too long here.

At some point while watching I just stopped taking notes, for me that's either a very good sign or a very bad one... I think from the score you can probably tell which.

Inside Man: Most Wanted seems fully aware that it isn't Inside Man, and that there wasn't really a genuinely original storyline insight. There are a lot of callbacks to the first film that seem rather hammy and shoehorned in, but I'll elaborate on that later.

There weren't any actors that I recognised, though the top three have been in several things I'm aware of. I'm not going to dwell on the acting because I really found it just to be fine. I didn't see anything that made me want to call it out as good, and similarly there was nothing terrible. It was all... fine.

And in fact, that's my feeling for the whole film... and I apologise, because I've just realised that I do not have anything at all that I want to speak about around this film. Already knowing Inside Man, this felt like a rather hollow attempt at a crime thriller. Had they taken out the connection to the first film and made it it's own film then I think it may have got a higher rating, not higher than three, but there was potential there for an average thriller.

What you should do


My obvious suggestion is to watch Inside Man from 2006, I don't think there's really a necessity to see this one at all.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


A room full of gold?

Comments