Ron’s Gone Wrong ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


The story of Barney, an awkward middle-schooler and Ron, his new walking, talking, digitally-connected device. Ron's malfunctions set against the backdrop of the social media age launch them on a journey to learn about true friendship.

Directed by Sarah Smith, Jean-Philippe Vine and Octavio E. Rodriguez.
Written by Peter Baynham and Sarah Smith.
Starring Jack Dylan Grazer, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms and Olivia Colman.
Released in UK cinemas from October 15th.


Review


Cute animation with funny characters, this seemed like a nice diversion from the usual, mainly heavy, festival lineup.

Barney has an eccentric family. Dad is trying to make ends meet and Gran’s solution is food and a song. But for Barney, who just wants to fit in with his classmates, scraping by means not having the latest “Best friend in a box” robot to hang out with like everyone in his class.

As well as looking for something light hearted to watch, I was a little bit excited to see a children’s film in an adult only screening. I’m easily pleased, it’s the dream screening really.

When kids films from bigger studios don’t appear on my radar well in advance of their release I’m always a little sceptical. But the idea behind Ron’s Gone Wrong sounded like it was going to be a bit of a win, after all, it's either friendship or all out war, there's generally no in between.

Despite it having some bigger names in the cast, I really couldn’t put my finger on any of them as I watched. Performances were a little forgettable if I’m honest, out of everything, it’s the antics that are memorable, not the voices. The dialogue felt a little anaemic and it really just didn’t hit the spot for me.

Then there’s the animation, again, a bit of a shrug. It’s lovely but familiar. The little robots are a fun creation though and the way they interact with their humans and the online world is nicely done. As I watched it though I had flashes of other films. I tried to remember the name of the bots as I wrote the synopsis, but all I could think was PAL… but that’s Mitchell’s vs the Machines, and if you’ve seen that then you’ll more than likely draw some comparisons. That’s not the only film either.

Ron's Gone Wrong has some nice messages about friendship and it tries to shoehorn some ethics in there for the adults, but all in all, despite being a nice film, it doesn’t hold much of a punch to stand out from the crowd.

What you should do


It will definitely entertain the kids, but it isn't really stand out enough to warrant a trip out to the cinema when you could be home and watch Mitchell's vs the Machines or Big Hero 6.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


A correctly functioning Ron would be good, it could absolutely be watching TikToks for me and condensing the list down to the essential two hours of puppy and kitten watching.

Comments