The Emmie Awards 2022

This year hasn't been the riotous return to the cinema I'd have liked, but thankfully there were still some epic watches (as well as some epic fails).

First, what have we learned from cinema going this year?

  • That children are probably still some of the better behaved viewers
  • That if you want to see a film, you need to see it the week it comes out, otherwise Avatar will stop you from seeing violent Santa repeatedly... sorry, that was very specific
  • That I should renew my availability for Hawkeye-style patrolling of screenings and beanbag round anyone who talks louder than a whisper or brings a picnic basket of snacks with them
  • That I might be over Marvel...
  • ... and Pixar a little
  • That just because a film has a half-naked Alexander Skarsgård in it, doesn't mean it will be any good

Anyway, you didn't come here for random waffle, you came here for movie waffle... so let's get down to it!


Films In A Franchise

A fair few films fell into this category. Some highs (below), some lows (Dumbledore and Thor, I'm looking at you two).

Despite my feelings about RPatz, RBatz in The Batman was a winner for me. Back to a detective story and a real difference to previous incarnations, it's still no '66, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

If anyone had told me that one of the best movies this year was going to be Top Gun: Maverick, I'd have laughed in their face so hard I'd have probably started hyperventilating. Really disliked the first one, couldn't understand what anyone saw in it, but Maverick... I was super annoyed that I couldn't even dock it half a star for anything.

Was Jurassic World: Dominion an amazing film? No. Would it make my top 10 of the year? Absolutely not. But the callbacks and the nostalgia were pretty good.


Outstanding Performance

I'm sorry if I end up missing your favourites, there are quite a few standout performances, so I had to go with what really stuck in my memory.

Unsurprisingly, Penélope Cruz in Parallel Mothers was amazing. Powerful, emotional, and just what we've come to expect from her.

Bullet Train is an amusing action comedy, it's not going to win awards, but it has an amazing double act with Bryan Tyree Henry and Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Lemon and Tangerine. The Twins were hilarious, both together and apart, pay particular attention to their montage scene, so funny.



I don't think Black Adam was what anyone hoped it would be, but at least Aldis Hodge as Hawkman brought some amusement and the usual amount of eye candy... sorry, not sorry, I have adored him ever since Leverage.

My last nod is more of a collaborative "job well done" for Angela Bassett (Queen Ramonda), Winston Duke (M'Baku) and Danai Gurira (Okoye) in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Wonderful performances, and Angela should be queen of everything.


Why Would You Do That To Me?

As always, I'm an emotional wreck when it comes to watching things, so most films could probably make it into this "epic crying" category. I'm going to keep it simple, for fear that reliving these will make me cry again.

She Said is the story of Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor, and their investigation into decades of toxic Hollywood culture. It's difficult to express the feelings it conjures, let's just say that it sticks with you once you finish watching it.

Penélope Cruz and Milena Smit in Parallel Mothers work so well together, and the storyline between them will grip you, but I don't want to say more if you haven't already seen it.


Best Surprises

There's usually always a hidden gem that you haven't heard anything about, or your love expectations are blown out of the water. This year was no different, I've got one of each that might be worth your while watching.

Before Jackass Forever started, I honestly thought that the most amusing thing about the showing would be the lads walking in, seeing me, and then asking each other if they were in the wrong screen. But... I was honestly disturbed by how much fun I had watching it, and not just "that's amusing" fun, full blown laughing out loud fun. There was only one point where I didn't laugh, and that was because I wanted to throw up... but that shouldn't put you off (I mean, it will when you watch it, but it shouldn't stop you seeing it.) I actively dislike watching Jackass, so it pains me to recommend it because I really understand how you might not want to see it... but if you say no to it, you should still just watch the opening credits...

I imagine that a lot of you won't have heard about The Fence. It was a very Bristol affair, set on the streets of a council estate in the 1980s, near where I lived when I first moved to the area. The screening was packed, and there must have been some great PR around the area. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, it was funny, heartwarming and devastating... I'm really very glad that I got to see it.


The Snap

The Snap is my own Thanos driven purge of things that have disappointed and/or made me scream "MY EYES!!!!!!" throughout the year. Let's make this trauma as painless as possible, shall we?

  • Cheaper By The Dozen - Gabrielle Union and Zach Braff... I was quite excited by the prospect... that was until I had to try rewatching it approximately half a dozen times
  • Father Stu - This could probably also go in the next category, but it's more that I wish I'd totally forgotten it happened
  • Thor: Love and Thunder - I am still mad about this one if I'm honest
  • White Noise - I'm sure this is for someone... who isn't me


Pass The Time Turner/I Totally Forgot That Happened

There are films that seem to fly by, and then there are others that make you want to go entirely limp in your seat, slide off, lay on the floor and exclaim... how long have I been watching this?!

  • Confess, Fletch - So utterly dull, felt like an eternity of sitting
  • Firestarter - I wanted to enjoy it... these adaptations aren't doing anything for my opinion of Stephen King related films
  • Memory - Liam Neeson starring in a film that felt like it might actually be a true story, no more, I beg you
Honourable mention goes to the first half of Matrix: Resurrections... I genuinely was very bored by most of it, but was pleased that it eventually picked up. 


The Geostorm Award for Amazing Steps in Disaster Movies

I adore a disaster film, and often, the lower the budget the better.

Geostorm was a glorious big screen extravaganza with someone hunky in the lead doing absolutely nothing logical or scientifically sound to save the world... and 2022 gave us... drumroll please! Moonfall!

Patrick Wilson leads this sci-fi action adventure alongside Halle Berry and John Bradley (who has been taking Hollywood by storm this year), as they attempt to stop the moon from losing its orbit and catastrophically colliding with Earth. Nuff said, it's amazing, I brought it on Blu-ray as soon as it came out, you should absolutely watch it.


Rom-Coms on the Comeback

There's just something not right about rom-coms these days. I long for the 80s and 90s instalments starring Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, J Lo and Meg Ryan... this year blessed us with something for the nostalgic of us.

Jennifer Lopez (whose last rom-com, Second Act, was also amazing) appeared in Marry Me alongside a possibly unusual choice of Owen Wilson. Wow, I hear you say. Famous singer and influencer meets the unlikely man of her dreams at a concert... it also has Chloe Coleman playing Wilson's daughter, she's still doing great roles, can't wait to see what's next for her.

I caught Bros at the London Film Festival this year. I laughed, I cried... surprising, I know. Eichner's character, Bobby, maybe a little too much at times, but overall the film was really enjoyable.

Another one of my faves was back in Lost City. Sandra Bullock stars opposite Channing Tatum, with Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt... so much fun to be had, would highly recommend.


Most Rewatchable... Recommendable

Was there anything as rewatchable as The Meg? No. But we can't hold everything that comes out to such a high standard. When looking at my rewatches, I realised that I probably needed to rename this category. My most watched release of 2022 was 5cream... and I didn't even really like that, although I will admit, it grew on me more after a second watch.



So, firstly I would have to recommend, Everything Everywhere All At Once. Completely off the wall and unexpected. Michelle Yeoh, brilliant as always, and it was great to see Ke Huy Quan back on our screens. You can watch this over and over and find something new each time. One of a handful of films that scored full marks, along with...

Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent. Nicolas Cage being Nick Cage. I don't think I need to say anymore. But you'll see one of my favourite bits below.


Favourite Thing Of The Movie Year

While I was disappointed with Lightyear, as always, they make great sidekicks. SOX the Cat... epic performance.



In Unbearable Weight, Pedro Pascal plays Cage's biggest fan. The way he looks like he's in love with Nicolas Cage during the entire film, is just the most delightful thing you'll see from any 2022 release.


And that's the Emmie's round-up for this year! Keep an eye out for my yearly stats coming soon, and make sure to let me know what you'd have picked for these categories, in the comments or on Twitter.

Happy watching in 2023!

Comments