Inside Out 2 ★★★★☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Riley is growing up, her sense of self is developing, and her emotions are getting along like a house on fire. But part of growing up is dealing with a lot of new situations, and new emotions... A shake up is coming.

Directed by Kelsey Mann
Written by Meg LeFauve, Dave Holstein & Kelsey Mann
Starring Amy Poehler, Maya Hawke, Kensington Tallman, Liza Lapira, Tony Hale, Lewis Black, Phyllis Smith, Ayo Edebiri, Adele Exarchopoulos, and Paul Walter Hauser
Released out in cinemas now


Review


I'm not sure that I've recovered from the first outing of Riley's emotions in 2015... how was it that long ago?! I literally think about Bing Bong at least once a month. Anyway...

Riley's hitting her teens, that means high school, bigger challenges... and bigger emotions. But as with anything new, it takes a while to get the hang of it. Under pressure, which of her emotions will boil over?

Yet again Pixar have managed to create another impactful story from their wonderful emotions with emotions premise... that devastated adults in my screening. A lot of us were clearly crying (there was definite audible evidence), and if they were anything like me, it was absolutely because you knew Riley's pain because you've lived your own version of it.

Our new emotions come in the form of... Anxiety (all too familiar), Envy (thankful a little on the quiet side for me), Embarrassment (there's no way my Embarrassment is as adorable as this guy), and Ennui (weariness, dissatisfaction, boredom... ding ding ding... we've found my spirit emotion). There's also a little appearance of Nostalgia as well, and I do love a bit of nostalgia.

The kids in my screening loved the film, but how much of it they understood I couldn't say. Part of me genuinely hopes it wasn't a lot, if I'm honest.

I'm glad they didn't diverge from the success of the original, the colours and the set up of the world is such a treat to see on screen. The new sections of Riley's mind added so much, and sarcasm honestly explains a lot, but the changes that are seen are a little sad... I really need Pixar to stop making me think about my own mental state.

Riley experiences her new emotions as she's approaching her next major milestone, going to high school, and the scenario we see it in really did let her experience the whole gamut. I genuinely don't have much more to say on it. As I said above, it's a great follow up, and I really lovely it even though it made me cry real tears for myself and Riley.

There's only one issue I have... I want another two, but they can't be children's films. I want Riley meeting someone in college and getting married, rom-com style. Then I want a sped up adult phase where they're now getting the parent perspective with their own child... It's quite devastating to know that won't happen.

What you should do


It's well worth a watch, but it does have the potential to be devastating to any adult.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


At this point I have most of the things in this film, if I took home anything else it would likely be the end of me.

Comments