The Hate U Give ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Starr exists in two worlds. Garden Heights, the poor black neighbourhood where she lives and Williamson Prep, the predominantly white school that her and her brothers go to. After she witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood friend, Khalil, she has to decide on the right thing to do, and it tests her family and friendships to their core.


Review


Let me start by saying that this is an incredibly powerful film. There's not a single member of the cast that I didn't believe in their role, and at no point during the film did I stop to wonder why something happened or what was going on. The whole thing flowed perfectly.

There are stellar performances from everyone, but I was really pleased to see Amandla Stenberg in this role. It's a strong lead which was a great relief as I wasn't overly enthusiastic after seeing some of her previous roles. Regina Hall really hit home for me too, I'm used to her as a comedic actor so this break from that was surprising and very welcome. She did still get the chance for moments of humour, they're just not as over the top as we might be used to.

This is an adaptation of the young adult book of the same name by Angie Thomas. While the protagonist is indeed a teenage girl the film certainly doesn't limit itself to that audience. Many adaptations before this have made it difficult to see its success past the intended age group but I can see this being popular on so many levels. It's a tough subject handled in an excellent way. This really feels like something special.

If I have to quibble about something it's that the ending feels a little too "and they all lived happily ever after". I don't know if that's how it ends in the book or not, I'm going to find out. It's still a good ending though, regardless.

What should you do?


See it. No haggling about ticket prices, it's worth every penny.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


The film doesn't quite fall into the category for this part of my post, but I'd really want Starr's determination and courage.

Comments