The Favourite ★★☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Lady Marlborough is by Queen Anne's side governing the country in her stead as she becomes more frail, but when her cousin Abigail arrives the Queen's favour begins to sway.


Review


We're at yet another point in history that I'm not familiar with, let's just take that as read for all historical films from now on. As such I don't know how accurately it portrays things.

Our leading ladies each give outstanding performances, Weisz being the stand out of the three. Lady Sarah was the only one who's character seemed consistently believable the whole way through. Coleman gave a strong performance of Queen Anne and her moods. Stone though was the only one that suffered from the quirks of her character, Abigail's change towards the end of the film to a much more grotesque demeanor was not enjoyable.

That wasn't the only thing that was troublesome to watch. The camera work and the transition pieces were some strange choices. Early on we have a scene set in a dark shadowed room that means we're just watching two silhouettes, we see other scenes that are shot in darkened rooms and they're all handled much better than this shot. The other two issues I came across feel very old fashioned. Firstly cross fading transitions, I can't say added anything. Secondly the random fish eye lens, again it doesn't add anything and would be more at home in a sci-fi film than a historical one.

I can't say I enjoyed the film overall. It's a rather bland tale punctuated by overdone lavish moments, unnecessary sex and nudity, and all punctuated with some gratuitous additions of the C word. I'm not even offended by any of these things but none of it felt like it needed to be in the film, I genuinely feel it would have been a better production without some of it.

What you should do


I wouldn't bother with this one, and I'm aware I'm in a minority on this point. Personally I feel like time would be better spent researching the real point in history than this account.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


Lady Sarah's shooting outfit.

Comments