UK Movie Releases - June 2019


June is looking very quiet when it comes to films, not sure how I'm going to keep my quota up. Just two movies I've got my eye on, are there any I've missed that we should be getting excited about?



5th June 2019


★ Dark Phoenix - Starring the usual suspects. Jean Grey's developing powers see her evolve into Dark Phoenix. The X-men need to make the choice between their teammate and the rest of humanity.

*sigh* I've been looking forward to this one since it was announced, then the trailers started coming. I was so underwhelmed. No excitement, no goosebumps, and then they were in space?! It's still getting a star though and I've got my fingers crossed that the film is better than the advertising.


7th June 2019


Gloria Bell - Starring Julianne Moore & John Turturro. A free-spirited woman in her 50s seeks out love at L.A. dance clubs.

There are a lot of recognisable names in this one, with the other films happening around it I doubt it will get much love in listings.

Late Night - Starring Emma Thompson & Mindy Kaling. A late-night talk show host suspects that she may soon be losing her long-running show.

Late Night has been written by Mindy Kaling and the trailer looks like it's got some potential, Amazon Studio productions are hitting some good spots recently so this is one to keep an eye out for.

14th June 2019


★ Men in Black: International - Starring Chris Hemsworth & Tessa Thompson. In this fourth instalment of the MIB franchise, this time they're looking for a mole inside the organisation.

I'm a little apprehensive about this one, but we can pretty much guarantee some entertainment. Seeing Asgardians Hemsworth and Thompson reunited should be good, although I'm not overly fond of the films attempt to point out that Hemsworth was Thor.


Shaft - Starring Samuel L. Jackson & Jessie T. Usher. John Shaft Jr., a cyber security expert with a degree from MIT, enlists his family's help to uncover the truth behind his best friend's untimely death.

The trailer looks terrible... and I loved every second of it!

21st June 2019


Brightburn - Starring Elizabeth Banks. What if a child from another world crash-landed on Earth, but instead of becoming a hero to mankind, he proved to be something far more sinister?

So what if Superman but super bad. The trailer for this looks particularly creepy, I can't tell how far into the horror side of things it'll go but I'm sure I'll be cowering in my seat watching it.

Toy Story 4 - Starring Woody, Buzz and Forky. When a new toy called "Forky" joins Woody and the gang, a road trip alongside old and new friends reveals how big the world can be for a toy.

*whispers* I'm just not that fussed about Toy Story.

28th June 2019


Annabelle Comes Home - Starring Patrick Wilson & Vera Farmiga. Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren keep a possessed doll locked up in an artefacts room in their house. When the doll awakens the room's evil spirits, it soon becomes a night of terror for the couple's young daughter and her friends.

I have absolutely no interest in this one, I know there are lots of fans of the series out there but I am not one of them.

Yesterday - Starring Lily James & Kate McKinnon. A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles.

Haven't seen anything about this one before but it looks like it might be a bit quirky, and who doesn't love some good tunes in a film?



Happy watching!

Comments