Wild Honey Pie! ★★☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


(Happily) Married couple Gillian & Oliver are in a rut, their relationship is crazy and very little is ever calm. When things finally come to a head neither of them can take the high road and it's not clear how they'll make it through.


Review


Straight off I'm going to say that this isn't the sort of subject that appeals to me in films. Movies for me are about things I haven't/couldn't experience and this is very much in my wheelhouse.

Gillian is an aspiring playwright and is in between an amdram production and trying to get her own play produced. Oliver is a DJ who only gets one gig a week. They're living in a house owned by Oliver's mum and are just scraping by, but they've got love and that's all that matters.

Jemima Kirke and Richard Elis are very natural together and make a believable couple going through troubles. We're given a particularly good scene in their kitchen and it's left perfectly understated, it was nice to see that they weren't afraid of leaving some silence in there to get their point across.

I spent quite a while trying to work out why I recognised the actor playing Oliver, it turns out that Richard Elis played Huw on Eastenders. He's not the only one that I recognised, but he was less distracting than the second...

Let me introduce you to Matt, a blast from the past for Gillian and Oliver. My interest in the film was waning until I heard Matt first speak. My brow crinkled and I squinted at the screen for answers. In front of me was Brett Goldstein, host of the Films To Be Buried With podcast... that I'd listened to on the way to the cinema. His appearance was a shock for that surprise as well as the fact that it was so out of the blue in the film that it threw me. Matt became the most entertaining thing in Wild Honey Pie! He doesn't have great dialogue but it doesn't matter because it's fitting to his character on some levels.

It wasn't just Matt's first appearance that threw me, there are other events and moments that pop up and feel like they're filler that doesn't quite fit in overall.

I'm honestly finding it difficult to find things to say about this, it's all fine, but not very engaging. I wasn't really hooked by anything, had it not been for the recognition for Brett Goldstein then I would have been getting very fidgety and looking at the time trying to work out when it was time to leave. There's an audience out there for this, but it isn't me.

What you should do


This is probably one you can skip until it hits streaming services.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


Matt's poetry skills were amazing and I would love to have that talent.

Comments