Good Boys ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Max, Lucas and Thor end up on an epic journey, committing several criminal acts along the way in an effort to go to a party thrown by the coolest kid in school.


Review


Good Boys swept wildly from laughing a lot to not laughing at all, it was an interesting mix of entertainment that had a few surprises up its sleeve.

Max, Lucas and Thor are best friends, they're the Bean Bag Boys, they're inseparable. Max manages to get them all invited to a party with the coolest kids in school, and his crush is going to be there. There's just one obstacle, this party is going to have kissing and none of them knows how to. They need to find out how to kiss but their ideas on how to do that leave a little to be desired.

Our three leads played by Jacob Tremblay, Keith L Williams and Brady Noon are such fun together on screen. They each have their own little niche in the group and their bond of friendship is amazing. My favourite of the three is probably Lucas, he really does want to be a good boy and gets the rough end of the stick more than once. Williams did an incredible job and I'm sure there are going to be a lot of great things in his future.

In the whole film though my favourite character is Lily, played by Midori Francis. Lily and Hannah (Molly Gordon) face off against the boys as they try to get their property back after a drone incident leaves them in mild arch enemy status. In one scene Lily is in pursuit of them as they ride away on their bikes, the end of this sequence had me roaring with laughter and I was impressed with the way she captured it all in just a few quick moments.

There really are lots of scenes that I can think of now and say "this was brilliant... that was brilliant" but bits between these scenes left me cold. As I said at the beginning, I was either laughing or not laughing, which can be the case for a lot of films, but during Good Boys when I wasn't laughing I wasn't particularly enjoying the film. It felt like a lot of skits that had been joined together.

Despite that the film itself flowed well even though the story became a little dull at times. There's a great cameo that pops up in it too, I really like this trend of surprise cast, it really does add entertainment to the viewing experience.

There was enough enjoyment to be had in Good Boys to make for a fun couple of hours but it didn't quite have the wow factor I was expecting. I will probably watch it again when it's streaming to catch all the best bits again.

Note: This film has made me realise I'm bored of the song Nobody Speak by DJ Shadow.

What you should do


Definitely worth a watch whenever you get a chance, it offers an entertaining diversion.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I would quite like Lily's athletic ability.

Comments