Don't Let Go ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis 


After a man's family dies in what appears to be a murder, he gets a phone call from one of the dead, his niece. He's not sure if she's a ghost or if he's going mad, but as it turns out, he's not.

Directed and written by Jacob Estes
Starring David Oyelowo, Alfred Molina, Brian Tyree Henry and Storm Reid.


Review 


Jack always looks out for his niece, Ashley. He may be a busy cop but when life at home is difficult for her he'll always take the time to be there for her.

After a frantic phone call from Ashley that goes dead he heads over to check on everyone and comes across a devastating scene. He's reeling from the loss and not doing well, then he received a call... from Ashley. She's happy and perky as usual, and calling from the past. Has grief driven him mad? Is it someone playing a cruel prank? Could he save her from what hasn't happened to her yet?

Don't Let Go nearly passed me by, last minute advertising popped it back onto my radar and I was still suitably intrigued by it and managed to catch it at my local. The idea seemed like an interesting one, it worked for Frequency so why not now too? After seeing the film though you realise that if you take the sci-fi out you could easily adapt the story into a regular thriller. I thought they handled the "time travel" between cuts in a very good way, but ultimately the lack of explanation felt like a letdown and the ending felt rather unfulfilling too.

They do some of my least favourite camera work, bouncy cameras and the opening gliding shot didn't sit well with me. Just once I'd like to see a camera in a car that only jumps when they hit a pothole or take a speed bump.

The majority of the film is following Jack, played by David Oyelowo, he does a good job of the mania that you'd expect from this situation. There's always the issue with situations that are more real than science fiction... how can you even begin to work out what you'd do? It felt believable and that was a fairly impressive feat.

I'd previously seen Storm Reid in A Wrinkle In Time which I loved, but in neither film did I find her easy to watch. She's got a talent for sure but sometimes things don't seem all that natural on screen.

As I said, the idea is intriguing, I'm hopeful that appeal will be enough for some people to find this film entertaining. I enjoyed it for the most part but the disappointing ending and too many points left to "it's a mystery" mean I won't be putting this very high on the list of things to rewatch.

What you should do 


When Don't Let Go hits streaming services it might be worth trying to catch this one.

Movie thing you wish you could take home 


A magic mobile phone, though with a little less sci-fi.

Comments