Killers Anonymous ★☆☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


A support group of killers is held regularly. The participants sit in a circle of trust and share their transgressions.

Directed by Martin Owen.
Written by Seth Johnson, Elizabeth Morris and Martin Owen.
Starring Gary Oldman, Jessica Alba, Michael Socha, Tim McInnerny and Tommy Flanagan.
Released available to buy, or stream on NowTV.


Review


A killers' support group? Ooooooh, this could be fun.

A group of killers come together to talk about their problems on the night a US Senator is assassinated in London. As they introduce themselves a bigger picture starts to unfold.

Spoiler alert (though the score will have given that away), this COULD have been fun.

The beginning of this film holds little to no... anything. I was 11 minutes in and had absolutely no idea what was happening. There seemed to be no story, no personality, nothing that made me want to carry on watching. At 22 minutes in I wrote, "what is even the point of this" in my notes. By the end I still couldn't see the point.

This lack of interest was a serious hindrance, neither of the two main storylines had an impact. I'm sitting here now wondering whether the film was too complicated, or not complicated enough... it genuinely could be either. After having finished the film I'm concerned that there are so many things in it that scream "sequel incoming". Please, no.

Talent was crammed into this film though, you just have to look at the poster for the movie to see that, even some of those not featured you'd recognise from other things. And all of those actors weren't that bad, we know they can act well, so the question is... why are they in this? With this cast, I think it says something when even they couldn't save this film from the lacklustre material.

We're introduced to the characters in the group one at a time, giving us an overview of their backstory... I had lots of feelings about this. Firstly, it reminded me of an imitation Bad Times At The El Royale. But beyond that mild excitement that maybe we were about to see something good it was a mish-mash of lots of different things. The style was all over the place, and that seemed to be a theme throughout.

Single lit characters, merging scenes that are happening in different locations, graphic novel drawing, it has a lot happening. That along with the madness of some of the scenes made everything rather choppy.

I'm genuinely trying to think of things to say, but every point I look at makes me sigh... that sad sort of sign that makes you disappointed. There are no redeeming features to this apart from the idea, which is so sad, a killers' support group has so many possibilities and this is what we got. And I've just seen the estimated budget was $26 million... that seems like a lot.

What you should do


Really don't bother. I will have forgotten that this was a thing within the week.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I already cannot remember anything about this film that I might want, so I'll just take Gary Oldman and we can get back to business as usual.

Comments