Night School ★★★☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Teddy has got the car, the apartment and the girl, but he doesn't have the GED needed to get a new job when an accident leaves him without one. When he realises sweet talking the head teacher of his old high school isn't going to work he has to try making it through night school.


Review


I find Hart and Haddish to be two peas in a pod when it comes to their comedy style. The only difference is that I can watch a whole Kevin Hart film without getting bored of it. So having them both in a film together was a little worrying. But I really didn't need to worry. They work really well together.

What I will say is that I wasn't convinced until around the mid-way point when they change up the learning side of things. The first bit was a little short on the really entertaining comedy and I was getting restless, but the rest had everyone laughing out loud. I will say that there's one bit that really made me feel awful... I honestly was seconds away from throwing up... you'll see it coming and you will probably be hollering "nooo" like most of us in the screen did.

The support cast is great and everyone plays a brilliant little piece in the film. Mary Lynn Rajskub made me chuckle a lot, it's a very different character to what most of us would be used to seeing her doing.

There are some movie occurences that you can see happening and you can take comfort in that you know they're coming. This film teases one right under your nose for most of it's run and the rips it away from you. It is both nice and infuriating that they don't take that turn.

It's definitely a fun film, but it's a fairly average one. If it hadn't been for the awkward comedy in the first section of the film then I think this could have been one that went on my go to cheer up film list.

What should you do?


It's worth streaming and seeing at least once. It won't tax your brain and it'll be a good diversion for a couple of hours.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I think I'd really need to have some of that holy chicken.

Comments