The Nutcracker And The Four Realms ★★☆☆☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis


Clara is given an early Christmas present, an ornate egg left to her by her mother, and all she needs to open it is a key. At the annual Christmas gathering held by her godfather his present leads her to a magical realm beyond anything she could have imagined.



Review


I've obviously been living under a rock as I hadn't realised that this was a Disney film. But while it has some Disney traits it didn't feel very Disney. In fact something feels a little off about the whole thing, and I can't say that that is a new feeling about their recent live action offerings. If we're excluding Pixar then the only film I've enjoyed from them recently is A Wrinkle In Time, this did nothing to change that.

Occasionally I come across films that leave me rather unenthusiastic, this is one of them. A seemingly massive budget has delivered an entirely mediocre piece filled with a large and impressive cast given parts that are lacklustre and often awkward. I'm not sure what was worse, Richard E. Grant's chandelier headdress or Keira Knightley's horny overlording and her high pitched whine. At least Helen Mirren with a whip gives you something good to watch.

All the realms have that wondrous quality but somehow don't come with the awe-inducing picture on the screen. Once you get into the Realm Of Amusements things get slightly more comical and you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd accidentally stumbled into a Spy Kids movie.

A welcome diversion came in the form of Misty Copeland's performances. It's just a shame that it was tainted by the rest of the film.

Sadly I can't get excited about this, I'm more annoyed about the fact that in all likelihood this will be hogging screen time until Christmas.

What you should do


Go and watch a ballet of The Nutcracker, it'll be more exciting and beautiful to watch.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


I'd love the skill to create those clockwork marvels.

Comments