Maleficent: Mistress Of Evil ★★★ ½ ☆ | Movie Review

Synopsis 


Maleficent and her goddaughter Aurora begin to question the complex family ties that bind them as they are pulled in different directions by impending nuptials, unexpected allies, and dark new forces at play.

Directed by Joachim Rønning.
Starring Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning.


Review 


I questioned the need for a second film, much like other Disney properties furthering this franchise over producing new content didn't seem all that sensible, but the effects in the trailer had me intrigued enough to want to see it.

Aurora has settled into her life on the Moors, life is a fairy tale and soon it will become even more so. Everyone is elated when Prince Philip proposes to her, everyone but Maleficent.

As she tries to come to terms with the news and be happy for the couple it becomes evident that something more sinister is afoot and that those seeking power will do anything to get it.

Angelina Jolie never seems to disappoint. Here she summons the peak anti-social qualities and refines them into something elegant. All her little reactions and the way she tries to smile create a magnificent second outing for Maleficent and thankfully the story that they wove for her was strong enough to be a worthy sequel.

I am still not a great fan of Elle Fanning, I find her acting style to be rather eerie and on occasion bland. I didn't entirely believe the way her character had been written, and her acting didn't help, even if you take into account the "stroppy child" moments I found the choices that Aurora made to be dubious.

There are a lot of other faces to recognise. Michelle Pfeiffer makes for a formidable foe and she's strong throughout as the Queen. Robert Lindsay's brief reprise of the King is suitably amusing. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Ed Skrein are good additions to the line up and Sam Riley back as Diaval is as entertaining as ever.

The effects that pulled me to the film weren't a disappointment, seeing the way they crafted the different kingdoms and the overall look of everything was stunning. The only thing that really sticks out is the animation on the three fairy godmothers, I didn't like it in the first film and it doesn't change in this one either.

I was entertained through the whole film but since seeing it I don't have much of an urge to see it again or to see a third instalment. It didn't make much of an impression on me but it wasn't boring, on the scale of things I guess that's not bad.

What you should do 


It's not something I'd rush out to see, but it's worth checking out at some point.

Movie thing you wish you could take home 


I wouldn't mind the ability to fly.

Comments