UK Movie Releases - January 2020

Big month with 20 films coming out, there's a lot of serious stuff in the lineup but I've picked 7 that look like they should be hunted down when they're released.

Which of January releases are you looking forward to the most?



1st January 2020


The Gentlemen - Starring Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam and Hugh Grant. A British drug lord tries to sell off his highly profitable empire to a dynasty of Oklahoma billionaires.


I can't decide if I'm excited for this one or not, I think I am... maybe? It looks a little nuts and I certainly like that. UPDATE: I've been to see this one now so there will be a review coming soon.

Jojo Rabbit - Starring Roman Griffin Davis, Taika Waititi and Scarlett Johansson. A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home.

I haven't fancied seeing this, I skipped it at the London Film Festival and when we had an Unlimited Screening so I could see Parasite. Even with so many people raving about it I'm still not sure about it even with the funny bits in the trailer. [UPDATE: Review coming soon.]

3rd January 2020


In The Line Of Duty - Starring Dina Meyer, Giancarlo Esposito, Courtney Eaton and Aaron Eckhart. A disgraced cop finds himself in a race against time to find a kidnap victim whose abductor he accidentally killed.

The trailer looks to be your generic sort of action thriller, I don't think I'm expecting much out of it if I'm honest, I'm not even sure what sort of release it is as it's showing as available to rent online but I can't find a cinema release for it.

10th January 2020


1917 - Starring Dean-Charles Chapman, George MacKay, Daniel Mays and Colin Firth. Two young British soldiers during the First World War are given an impossible mission: deliver a message deep in enemy territory that will stop 1,600 men, and one of the soldier's brothers, from walking straight into a deadly trap.


The trailers make this look incredibly atmospheric, and I assume that means it will be devastating at times. Looking forward to seeing this one soon.

Seberg - Starring Kristen Stewart, Yvan Attal and Gabriel Sky. Inspired by real events in the life of French New Wave icon Jean Seberg. In the late 1960s, Hoover's FBI targeted her because of her political and romantic involvement with civil rights activist Hakim Jamal.

The more I see of Kristen Stewart the more her acting grows on me, I'm interested to see what this one has in store.

17th January 2020


Bad Boys For Life - Starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. The Bad Boys Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett are back together for one last ride in the highly anticipated Bad Boys for Life.


Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Go and see this movie, that's what you're going to do!

Bombshell - Starring Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie. A group of women take on Fox News head Roger Ailes and the toxic atmosphere he presided over at the network.


Amazing talents in this one and an interesting story, looking forward to the Unlimited Screening of this.

A Hidden Life - Starring August Diehl, Valerie Pachner and Maria Simon. The Austrian Franz Jägerstätter, a conscientious objector, refuses to fight for the Nazis in World War II.

A Hidden Life is listed on the Cineworld app but I get the feeling it's going to be a small release, the trailer makes it look like something that needs to be seen though.

Just Mercy - Starring Brie Larson, Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx. World-renowned civil rights defense attorney Bryan Stevenson works to free a wrongly condemned death row prisoner.


A powerful looking film with some excellent dramatic actors, another Unlimited Screeningin my future that I'm very much looking forward to.

Plus One - Starring Maya Erskine, Jack Quaid and Ed Begley Jr. In order to survive a summer of wedding fever, longtime single friends, Ben and Alice, agree to be each others' plus one at every wedding they've been invited to.

Plus One looks like a lot of different things smooshed together into one, it doesn't look very inspiring from the trailer but you never can tell.

Waves - Starring Taylor Russell, Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Alexa Demie. Traces the journey of a suburban family - led by a well-intentioned but domineering father - as they navigate love, forgiveness, and coming together in the aftermath of a loss.


This was sadly one of the films that didn't make the final cut in my schedule for London Film Festival 2019 and after the screenings I was regretting that after everyone raved so I can't wait to see this one. It is A24 though so this could go either way.

24th January 2020


The Grudge - Starring Tara Westwood, Junko Bailey and David Lawrence Brown. A house is cursed by a vengeful ghost that dooms those who enter it with a violent death.

Welcome to the first film of 2020 I won't be watching!

The Personal History Of David Copperfield - Starring Dev Patel, Hugh Laurie and Tilda Swinton. Based on the novel by Charles Dickens.

I don't know anything about David Copperfield but the trailers for the film look entertaining and Dev Patel is a great actor with some really interesting support in the extended cast.

The Turning - Starring Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard and Brooklynn Prince. A young governess is hired by a man who has become responsible for his young nephew and niece after the deaths of their parents. A modern take on Henry James' novella "The Turn of the Screw".

Half the trailer in and I can happily say this is film two of the year that I won't be seeing!

31st January 2020


★ A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood - Starring Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys. Based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod.


This is a strangely wonderful film, even if you didn't grow up with Mr Rogers I think the general feeling of the film will make it one to watch. Read my review here.

The Lighthouse - Starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe. Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

Having already seen this one I can say that despite the cinematography and technical work this film is not for me. Check out my review for the reasons why.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Toby, a disillusioned film director, becomes pulled into a world of time-jumping fantasy when a Spanish cobbler believes him to be Sancho Panza. He gradually becomes unable to tell dreams from reality.

Oh my, this one didn't even raise a curve of a smile. This first screened at Cannes in May 2018, so it's taken a while to get here, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Queen & Slim - Starring Daniel Kaluuya and Jodie Turner-Smith. A couple's first date takes an unexpected turn when a police officer pulls them over.

Cineworld put this on as the secret screening before Christmas, it's an interesting story told in a slightly odd way and didn't quite tick the boxes for me in any category.

The Rhythm Section - Starring Blake Lively, Jude Law and Sterling K. Brown. A woman seeks revenge against those who orchestrated a plane crash that killed her family.

Genuinely watched the trailer and have no idea what the plot was supposed to be apart from woman kicks ass to get revenge... is that enough for a whole movie?

Richard Jewell - Starring Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell. American security guard Richard Jewell saves thousands of lives from an exploding bomb at the 1996 Olympics, but is vilified by journalists and the press who falsely reported that he was a terrorist.

Another Unlimited Screening incoming, this looks like an interesting story but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy it for a couple of reasons, time will tell though.



Happy watching!

Comments