The Mitchells vs the Machines ★★★★★ | Movie Review

Synopsis


A quirky, dysfunctional family's road trip is upended when they find themselves in the middle of the robot apocalypse and suddenly become humanity's unlikeliest last hope.

Written and directed by Michael Rianda and Jeff Rowe.
Starring Abbi Jacobson, Danny McBride, Maya Rudolph, Eric André and Olivia Colman.
Released currently on Netflix to stream.


Review


I was originally going to post a round up of films I'd seen a just give a quick overview of my thoughts. But as I started writing, this review got longer and longer as I realised that it was okay for me to bore you with me frothing at the mouth with excitement.

Having seen the Connected trailer, as it was previously called, I knew I wanted to see it, and I was fairly certain I was going to enjoy it. It looked funny with some great characters and a nice bit of family drama thrown in. I don't think I was really prepared for how much I was going to enjoy it though.

In a last ditch attempt to spend time with his daughter before she heads off to college, Rick cancels her travel plans in favour of a family road trip. The tensions run high in the car, but that's nothing compared with the robopocalypse that's about to erupt around them... and if the pressure of family bonding wasn't enough, just wait until you're humanities last hope.

The idea behind The Mitchells vs the Machines is really quite nice. Being constantly connected to their devices has meant the divide between tech-phobic dad and digital creative daughter is growing by the day, and all she wants to do is get away. It does make you think about the way you interact with devices, and how reliant on them we've become... but we're not quite at the robot uprising so far... just keep an eye on Alexa.

The Mitchell family voice cast worked great together. I adore Maya Rudolph, and combined with just the right amount of dad from Danny McBride, they made a well balanced parental unit. And Katie (voiced by Abbi Jacobson, who also voices Bean in Disenchantment) was the perfect balance of stubborn teen and living sister.

Of course the obvious MVP of the film is Monchi the dog, voiced by Doug the pug. I will hear no arguments on this point... admittedly, mum does make a last minute surge for the top spot, but Monchi was consistent throughout.

Sony have managed to create a very amusing apocalyptic world. The robot army is great, and the personalities they display are so amusing, but even the other machines within the film have wonderful quirky little characters. The design in the world is magnificent, and well thought out, particularly when we get to the climax of the film.

I genuinely don't have a bad word to say about this film, it was action packed with something for everyone. There's speculation about a second film I believe, but I hope that doesn't develop into anything. Mitchells vs the Machines was a great standalone film, and there's no real follow up potential as it is. Take the win, pick up another idea and run with it.

What you should do


Absolutely watch this film. It's a joy to watch.

Movie thing you wish you could take home


No question... Monchi.



Comments